BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (10-6, 3-4 ODAC) saw all five of its starters score in double figures as it pulled away from Bridgewater College (7-9, 2-5 ODAC), 78-56, Saturday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 78, Bridgewater 56
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia
VENUE – Nininger Hall
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-6, 3-4 ODAC); Bridgewater (7-9, 2-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams traded baskets early before E&H scored five in a row to lead, 15-8. The Eagles went ahead, 22-21, with 8:55 to go before the half but the Wasps responded with a 16-7 run for a 37-29 halftime advantage.
- Bridgewater scored six of the final eight points of the half to draw the margin to 39-35 at the break.
- Returning to the court, the BC added to its run to get within one (39-38) before Emory & Henry's offense began to click. The Wasps put up a 19-7 scoring spurt for a 13-point lead and increased the margin to as much as 24 (78-54) with just over three minutes to play.
- The Eagles scored the last bucket of the game to make the 78-56 final margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) and junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) each put up double-doubles in the game. Wynn finished with 13 points and 14 rebounds while Spencer had 14 points, 12 rebounds, six assists and six steals.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) led the team once again with 19 points and added four rebounds, two assists and two steals.
- Freshman guard Jordan Grant (Windermere, Fla.) had 12 points while sophomore guard Dylan Felty (Bristol, Va.) contributed 10 markers.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Davrion Grier put up 16 points and nine rebounds while Josh Cammon had 14 points, six boards, three assists and two steals.
- Jimmie Sanders finished with eight points while Chandler Murray notched seven points, seven rebounds, five assists and three steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 40.8 percent (29-of-71) of its field goals with eight makes from three-point range. The Wasps went a scorching 12-for-13 (92.3%) at the free throw line.
- Bridgewater shot 23-for-70 (32.9%) for the game, also with eight three-pointers. The Eagles were cold at the stripe, making just 2-of-9 attempts.
- BC held a 46-45 rebounding advantage with a 16-11 margin on the offensive glass.
- Both squads scored 26 points in the paint but the Wasps used 18 Eagle turnovers to lead, 17-12, on their ensuing possessions.
- Emory & Henry will return home to take on Roanoke College on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.
- All E&H students are encouraged to be in attendance for Wednesday's game for a special halftime promotional event.