CRESTVIEW HILLS, Ky. – The Thomas More University Men's Basketball Team (6-4) made up for a season-opening loss to Emory & Henry College (7-3, 2-2 ODAC) with an 84-58 non-conference win Saturday. The Saints shot 56 percent from the field and high 12 three-pointers on their way to the victory.
FINAL SCORE – Thomas More 84, Emory & Henry 58
LOCATION – Crestview Hills, Kentucky
VENUE – Connor Convocation Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-3, 2-2 ODAC); Thomas More (6-4)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry opened the game on a 7-3 run covering 4:17 but Thomas More responded with the next 17 points to take a 20-7 lead.
- Down 30-17 with 5:37 to go before the break, the Wasps hit a pair of three-pointers to draw the margin to 30-23. The Saints would finish the half on a 14-3 run to take a 26-44 lead into the locker room.
- TMU scored the first seven points of the second half to press the margin to 51-26. The Saints would hold a 20-point lead for the whole second half as they took advantage of sharp shooting from both inside and long range.
- Thomas More would lead by as many as 31 (84-53) in the final minute of the game before Emory & Henry scored the final five points of the contest for the 84-58 margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) posted a team-high 18 points and added five rebounds and two steals while junior guard Jamie Clarke (Lexington, S.C.) put up 12 points on 4-for-5 shooting off the bench.
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had seven points and eight boards while sophomore guard Dylan Felty (Bristol, Va.) contributed eight points.
Thomas More Individual Leaders
- Ryne Callahan hit six three-pointers on his way to 25 points and added seven rebounds.
- Brandon Horne and Damion King each had 11 points while Horne posted seven rebounds and three assists.
- Ralph Stone put up 10 points and nine rebounds while Garren Bertsch finished with 10 points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 40.7 percent (22-of-54) of its field goals including six three-pointers.
- Thomas More connected on 32-of-57 (56.1%) of its shots with a dozen triples.
- Both teams went 8-for-10 (80%) at the free throw line.
- TMU held a 31-25 rebounding advantage but were edged by E&H, 9-8, on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led, 13-12, on points off turnovers, forcing Thomas More into 10 mistakes.
- Emory & Henry will take the next 11 days off for the fall final exam period before returning to action on Wednesday, December 19.
- The Wasps will visit the Giants of Keystone College for a 1:00 p.m., contest.