EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (7-2, 2-2 ODAC) bounced back on Wednesday night with a 75-60 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Eastern Mennonite University (4-4, 1-2 ODAC). Four players reached double figures in scoring for the Wasps.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 75, Eastern Mennonite 60
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-2, 2-2 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (4-4, 1-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The game got out to a slow start with Eastern Mennonite taking an 8-3 lead at the 13:54 mark of the first half. The Royals answered a Wasp run and pushed the margin back to five (20-15) with under 10 minutes on the clock.
- E&H put together an 18-2 run spanning 7:10 to go up 33-22 before EMU made it a 33-25 halftime score on an old-fashioned three-point play.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps crafted a 13-6 run to extend their lead to 15 (46-31). Eastern Mennonite closed the gap to eight, 46-38, with 14:11 on the clock, but Emory & Henry responded with a 7-0 run.
- The two squads went shot for shot for the remainder of the game as E&H claimed the victory, 75-50.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) poured in a double-double with 21 points, 18 rebounds, two assists and two steals while senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) had 17 points and six boards.
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) posted 14 points, seven rebounds and three assists while sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) turned in 10 points.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Travis Clower paced the Royals with 16 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers, to go along with six rebounds.
- Sammy Thomas served up 13 points and six boards while Tim Jones had 12 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 41.8 percent (28-of-67) from the field, hitting six three-pointers and made 13 free throws.
- Eastern Mennonite hit 25-of-54 (46.3%) of its shots but was just 7-for-24 (29.2%) at the charity stripe.
- The Wasps held a 43-40 rebounding advantage and used 12 offensive boards to lead 10-5 on second-chance points.
- E&H also led 18-9 on points off turnovers, taking advantage of 19 EMU miscues.
- The two teams were evenly matched down low, with the Royals holding a slight edge, 44-38, on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will step out of ODAC play for the remainder of December. The Wasps will be back in action on Saturday when they travel to face Thomas More University at 2:00 p.m.
- E&H defeated TMU by a 72-65 score to open the season on November 9.