ASHLAND, Va. – The No. 17 Randolph-Macon College Men's Basketball Team (9-0, 3-0 ODAC) built a 14-point second-half lead and held off a rally by visiting Emory & Henry College (6-2, 1-2 ODAC) on its way to a 79-68 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory on Saturday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – No. 17 Randolph-Macon 79, Emory & Henry 68
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-2, 1-2 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (9-0, 3-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads traded baskets for the opening five minutes of the game to a 9-8 R-MC lead. The Wasps went on an 8-0 run forcing a Yellow Jacket timeout at 16-9.
- Randolph-Macon reclaimed the lead, 24-22, with 5:11 to go before the break on a three-pointer by Grayson Midulla. E&H tied the game at 28-all before R-MC responded to take a 36-31 advantage into the locker room.
- Coming out of the break, the Yellow Jackets pressed their advantage to 14 with an 11-2 run covering the first 3:29 of the second half. The Wasps responded immediately with nine points to trim the margin to five (47-42).
- Emory & Henry got within three on a three-point play by senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.), 64-61, with 6:18 left to play, but an 11-2 run by Randolph-Macon put the game out of reach.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Four players reached double figures in scoring for the Wasps led by junior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.), who scored 19 points.
- Wynn had a double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds while junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) added a double-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds five assists and three steals.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) contributed 18 points and six rebounds.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Corey Bays posted a game-high 22 points with six three-pointers and added nine rebounds.
- Buzz Anthony had 17 points, nine rebounds, eight assists and two steals while Midulla tacked on 15 points five rebounds and six assists.
- Montese Adams registered 10 points and eight boards off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 29-for-72 (40.3%) for the game with three three-pointers. The Wasps made just 53.8 percent (7-of-13) of their free throw attempts.
- Randolph-Macon was 44.1 percent (26-of-59) from the floor with 12 makes from long range. The Yellow Jackets also scored 15 points (68.2%) at the line.
- E&H held a 43-40 rebounding advantage and a 17-15 margin on second-chance points as it scored 44 points inside the paint.
- R-MC assisted on 21 of its 26 field goals for a 81% assist ratio.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for an ODAC contest against Eastern Mennonite University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Runnin' Royals is set for 7:00 p.m.