MARYVILLE, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (3-0, 0-0 ODAC) saw four players reach double figures in scoring as it easily handled Webster University (2-1, 0-0 SLIAC) by an 84-55 margin Saturday afternoon.
The contest was the first in the Maryville College Classic which will also see the Wasps compete on Sunday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 84, Webster 55
LOCATION – Maryville, Tennessee
VENUE – Randy Lambert Court at Boydson Baird Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-0, 0-0 ODAC); Webster (2-1, 0-0 SLIAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams battled through the first five minutes of the game to a 10-9 Webster advantage. Emory & Henry used the next five minutes to put together a 12-1 run to take a 21-11 lead with 10:02 in the first.
- The Wasps put up 10 straight points later in the half to go up 31-13 and took a 41-24 lead into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Gorloks cut the margin to 13 (41-28) with 18:44 on the clock. The two teams traded buckets for the next six minutes, before E&H went on a 16-4 run for a 69-45 advantage with 8:51 to play.
- Seven in a row by the Wasps put all doubt to rest as they cruised through the last four minutes of the game to the 84-55 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) led all players with 20 points and 15 rebounds, going eight-for-nine from the field. He also added two steals and a block to his double-double.
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) had 19 points, eight rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block while sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) posted 12 points, three boards and three assists.
- Junior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) contributed 10 points, six assists and three steals.
Webster Individual Leaders
- Enrique Tankins had a team-high nine points and seven rebounds while Nigel Wilcox and Josh Johnson added eight points apiece.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 44.3 percent (31-of-70) from the field, hitting nine three-pointers and converted 13-of-15 (86.7%) of its free throw attempts.
- Webster made just 21-of-59 (35.6%) of its shots but was 11-for-15 (73.3%) at the stripe.
- E&H held a 44-37 rebounding advantage and a 10-6 lead on second-chance points.
- The Wasps also led 20-8 on points off turnovers and 36-24 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the weekend on Sunday when it takes on Maryville (Tenn.) College at 3:00 p.m.