EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (2-0, 0-0 ODAC) opened up a 49-28 halftime lead on its way to a 95-73 win over Transylvania University (1-1, 0-0 Heartland) Tuesday evening at Bob Johnson Court. The Wasps shot 62.7 percent (32-of-51) for the contest and hit 11 three-point baskets.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 95, Transylvania 73
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-0, 0-0 ODAC); Transylvania (1-1, 0-0 Heartland)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 15-4 lead at the 16:15 mark of the first half, forcing a TU timeout. The Pioneers got scored five in a row to get within six, but Wasps went on a 17-4 run covering 4:23 for a 32-14 advantage.
- E&H extended its lead to 21 with 5:47 to go before the half, and after Transylvania scored the next nine to cut the margin to 39-27, the Wasps finished the half on a 10-1 run for a 49-28 lead at the break.
- Coming out of the intermission, Emory & Henry opened the second half on a 9-4 run to push its lead to 26 (58-32). The two squads went back and forth before Transy put up 14 in a row to close the gap to eight, 68-60 with 10:04 on the clock.
- E&H rebuilt its lead through the final 10 minutes and was able to cruise to the 95-73 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) put up a game-high 28 points, going 7-for-9 from the field with five three-pointers and 9-for-11 from the line. He scored 19 of his points in the first half.
- Junior guards Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) and Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) each had 19 points with Molden adding six assists and four rebounds.
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had 15 points and seven rebounds while sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) put u nine points, seven assists and two steals.
Transylvania Individual Leaders
- Cooper Theobald led the Pioneers with 19 points on 8-for-10 shooting while Michael Jefferson tacked on 13 points and six rebounds.
- Devin Twenty had nine points, four rebounds and three steals off the bench.
A Deeper Look
- In addition to its red-hot shooting from the field, Emory & Henry also hit 80 percent (20-of-25) of its free throw attempts.
- Transylvania shot 29-for-68 (42.6%) for the game with five three-pointers and 10 free throws made.
- TU held a 33-30 rebounding advantage and pulled down 16 offensive rebounds which translated to a 16-4 lead on second-chance points.
- Both squads scored 36 points in the paint with the Wasps leading 21-12 on fast break points.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Maryville, Tennessee this weekend for the Maryville College Classic.
- The Wasps will face off against the Gorloks of Webster University on Saturday at 1:00 p.m., and will finish the weekend against the host Maryville Scots on Sunday at 3:00 p.m.