EMORY, Va. – The Washington and Lee University Men's Basketball Team (15-9, 10-5 ODAC) built a 17-point second half lead and repelled a furious rally by Emory & Henry College (18-6, 10-5 ODAC) to win, 92-87, Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
As the final home game of the regular season, Emory & Henry honored its four seniors prior to tipoff and made a special presentation to senior forward Chase Brancomb (Bristol, Tenn.) celebrating his 1,000th career point at Randolph-Macon on Saturday.
FINAL SCORE – Washington and Lee 92, Emory & Henry 87
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-6, 10-5 ODAC); Washington and Lee (15-9, 10-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads went back and forth early before W&L put together a run to go up 19-10 with 13:11 on the first half clock. After the Wasps cut the margin to five, the Generals went on a 14-5 run to make the score 38-24.
- Washington and Lee led by as much as 15 in the half, taking a 47-34 advantage into the break.
- The first 11 minutes of the second half saw the teams trade baskets with the Generals' lead fluctuating between 12 and 17. With the score 73-56 and 8:57 left to play, Emory & Henry scored 13 in a row to cut the margin to 73-69.
- The Wasps hung around and got as close as three points (81-78) with just under two minutes on the clock, but the Generals scored six in a row to nearly put the contest out of reach.
- E&H fought until the final buzzer, getting within five for the final 92-87 margin.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Branscomb posted a double-double with 18 points and 10 rebounds, hitting a trio of three-pointers.
- Junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had 17 points and six boards off the bench while sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) recorded 16 points, five rebounds and four assists.
- Senior guards John Shelor (Giles, Va.) and Johnny McLean (Charlotte, N.C.) put up 14 and 13 points, respectively as McLean added three assists, two rebounds and a block.
Washington and Lee Individual Leaders
- Clayton Murtha led all players with 25 points and pulled down nine rebounds as he shot 9-for-12 from the field.
- Nicholas George and Devin Kearns had 20 points each with George going for four rebounds. Roy McMillan scored 10 to go along with seven rebounds, four assists, three steals and a block.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 45.7 percent (32-of-70) of its field goals, connecting on seven shots from long range. The Wasps hit 16-of-24 (66.7%) of their free throws.
- Washington and Lee went 30-for-57 (52.6%) from the floor with nine threes. The Generals were nearly perfect at the stripe, making 95.8 percent (23-of-24) of their attempts.
- W&L led 36-34 on the boards but a 12-6 margin for E&H on the offensive glass translated to a 12-9 lead on second-chance points.
- The Wasps outscored the Generals 44-28 in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road for its final regular season game of the year Saturday.
- The Wasps visit the Royals of Eastern Mennonite University with tipoff scheduled for 4:30 p.m.