ASHLAND, Va. – The Randolph-Macon College Men's Basketball Team (17-6, 11-3 ODAC) withstood a late rally by visiting Emory & Henry College (18-5, 10-4 ODAC) for a 63-59 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory Saturday afternoon. The contest marked the second time this season that the two squads met while tied atop the league standings.
With a three-pointer at the 11:44 mark of the second half, senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) became the second player this season and 15th in program history to join the 1,000-point club. Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) achieved the milestone on December 20 against Transylvania University.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 63, Emory & Henry 59
LOCATION – Ashland, Virginia
VENUE – Crenshaw Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-5, 10-4 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (17-6, 11-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Randolph-Macon jumped out to a 9-2 lead at the 15:31 mark of the opening half but back-to-back threes by Emory & Henry closed the gap to 9-8.
- The Yellow Jackets extended their advantage to 10, but the Wasps got within one (24-23) with 3:50 on the clock. R-MC would take a 28-23 lead into the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps scored five in a row to tie things up at 28. Randolph-Macon's offense woke up as it went up by 12 (50-38) with 8:28 to play.
- E&H would make a final surge, closing the gap to two (61-59) with five seconds to play, but RMC made a pair of free throws with one second on the clock to seal the 63-59 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Branscomb finished the game with 10 points and 10 rebounds while sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) came three assists short of a triple-double with 17 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.
- Shelor had 15 points while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) tacked on six points and 10 rebounds.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Montese Adams put up 13 points and six rebounds while Buzz Anthony had 13 points, four assists and two steals.
- Corey Bays notched 12 points off the bench while Daniel Noe had eight points, four rebounds and three assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 21-for-53 (39.6%) for the game with five three-pointers. The Wasps made just 57.1 percent (12-of-21) of their free throws.
- Randolph-Macon hit 43.1 percent (22-of-51) of its shots with nine triples on the afternoon. The Yellow Jackets were 10-for-13 (76.9%) at the stripe.
- E&H held a 38-31 rebounding advantage, including a 13-7 mark on the offensive glass. R-MC made the most of their second chances, outscoring the Wasps, 13-12.
- Emory & Henry led 32-24 on points in the paint and 16-13 on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Wednesday for its final regular season home game of the year against Washington and Lee University.
- The game, which will serve as Senior Night for the Wasps, will begin at 7:00 p.m.