EMORY, Va. – The No. 21 Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (18-1) made it a 10-0 start to Old Dominion Athletic Conference play with a 90-73 victory over Bridgewater College (11-8, 5-5 ODAC) Saturday at home. The Wasps open the league with 10-straight victories for the first time since the 1992-93 season.
FINAL SCORE – No. 21 Emory & Henry 90, Bridgewater 73
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (18-1, 10-0 ODAC); Bridgewater (11-8, 5-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads traded baskets for the opening 11:46 of the game for a 19-19 tie. Emory & Henry went on a 9-2 run to lead 28-21 with 6:08 on the clock before Bridgewater closed the gap to 38-34 at the half.
- Coming out of the break, the Wasps opened up their first double-digit lead of the contest, 47-37, after scoring nine of the first 11 points. E&H pushed the margin to 16 (57-41) at the 15:40 mark of the second half thanks to a 10-4 run.
- The Eagles clawed their way back into the game, getting within six points on three different occasions including 65-59 with 8:56 to play.
- Emory & Henry took control down the stretch, going up by as much as 19 (88-69), cruising through the final two minutes for the 90-73 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- The Wasps saw five players reach double figures in scoring with a pair of double-doubles. Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) led all players with 25 points, adding 11 rebounds and two assists for the double-double.
- Junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had a double-double of his own with 12 points and 18 boards while senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) scored 24 points on six-for-nine shooting from beyond the arc.
- Sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) had 11 points, eight assists and five rebounds while junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) chipped in 11 points, five boards and two blocks.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Dimetri Chambers paced the Eagles with 23 points on 9-for-15 shooting with three rebounds and three assists.
- Ken Stanciel had 10 points and nine boards while Chandler Murray and T.J. Turner chipped in nine points each.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 30-for-62 (48.4%) from the floor, connecting on nine three-pointers. The Wasps hit 65.6 percent (21-of-32) of their free throws.
- Bridgewater shot 42.6 percent (29-for-68) on the afternoon with eight makes from long range. The Eagles managed just a 7-for-18 (38.9%) effort at the charity stripe.
- E&H held a 47-34 rebounding advantage and edged BC, 16-15, on the offensive glass.
- The Eagles led 42-38 on points in the paint, and outscored the Wasps, 12-8, on points off turnovers.
- No. 21 Emory & Henry will travel to Roanoke College on Wednesday for an ODAC rivalry matchup against the Maroons at 7:00 p.m.
- E&H claimed a 75-73 win in the first contest of the year between the two squads.