LYNCHBURG, Va. – The No. 21 Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (17-1, 9-0 ODAC) kept rolling on Wednesday evening with an 85-74 Old Dominion Athletic Conference victory over Randolph College (4-14, 1-8 ODAC). It was the Wasps' first contest since becoming nationally-ranked by D3hoops.com earlier in the week.
FINAL SCORE – No. 21 Emory & Henry 85, Randolph 74
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Randolph Athletics & Dance Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (17-1, 9-0 ODAC); Randolph (4-14, 1-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry opened up a 14-9 lead midway through the opening half but Randolph responded with an 11-3 run to take a 20-17 lead with 8:24 to go before the break.
- The Wasps closed the half with nine of the final 11 points to flip a three-point deficit to a four-point lead (30-26) at the intermission.
- E&H opened the second frame with a 7-2 run to lead 37-28 with 18:57 on the clock. The WildCats surged back to get within one, 40-39, less than two minutes later but the Wasps weathered the storm, rebuilding their lead to 59-48 with 11 minutes left to play.
- Randolph would get no closer than seven points (62-55) in the final 10 minutes of the game as Emory & Henry captured its seventh win in a row, 85-74. With the victory, the Wasps are two games clear of second place in the ODAC.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) led the Wasps with 21 points, four rebounds and four assists while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) posted a double-double with 17 points and 13 rebounds.
- Junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) scored a career-high 15 points off the bench, going 6-for-10 from the field with a trio of three-point buckets, and added seven rebounds.
- Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) contributed 13 points and seven rebounds while sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) tacked on nine points, five rebounds and three assists.
Randolph Individual Leaders
- Ryan Fields paced the WildCats with a double-double, scoring a game-high 28 points and adding 12 rebounds.
- Sammy Hooper had 13 points, two rebounds, two assists and two steals while Reid Jacoby notched 11 points, five rebounds and five assists.
- Brian Smith chipped in 11 points and three assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 47.1 percent (32-of-68) of its field goal attempts, draining seven shots from long range. The Wasps heated back up from the charity stripe, going 14-for-19 (73.7%) on the evening.
- Randolph went 29-for-66 (43.9%) for the game with 10 three-pointers. The WildCats converted six points at the free throw line, shooting 75 percent.
- Emory & Henry held a 45-33 rebounding advantage with a 13-7 lead on the offensive glass. The Wasps used that to a post a 17-6 margin on second-chance points.
- E&H also led 40-26 on points in the paint and edged Randolph, 16-14, on points off turnovers.
- No. 21 Emory & Henry returns home on Saturday for a league contest against Bridgewater College.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Eagles is set for 2:00 p.m.