EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (15-1, 7-0 ODAC) saw five players reach double figures in scoring as it defeated visiting Lynchburg College (8-8, 2-5 ODAC) by a 102-81 score. It was the second time this season that the Wasps have reached the century mark on the scoreboard.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 102, Lynchburg 81
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-1, 7-0 ODAC); Lynchburg (8-8, 2-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Lynchburg opened up a 10-3 advantage at the 17:39 mark of the first half but the Wasps went on a 14-6 run to close the gap to 17-16 four minutes later. Down by four, the Wasps put up a 17-2 scoring spurt to take a 33-22 advantage.
- E&H would lead by as much as 15 (46-31) in the opening 20 minutes before taking a 50-39 margin into the locker room.
- Returning to the court, the Wasps scored seven of the first 10 points of the half to push the margin to 57-42. Lynchburg closed the gap to 63-53 with 13:20 on the clock but Emory & Henry responded with the next 14 points over a span of 2:32 to lead 77-53 midway through the half.
- The Wasps would lead by at least 20 for the rest of the way. E&H pushed the advantage to as much as 26 (102-77) in the final 90 seconds before winning 102-81.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) led all players with 34 points and made it a double-double with 11 rebounds. He becomes the first E&H player to reach the 30-point mark since Myles Turner put up 30 at home against Montreat College on December 10, 2014.
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 13 points, hitting three triples and added two rebounds, two assists and two steals while junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) had three treys of his own for 12 points, three rebounds and two steals.
- Sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) notched a double-double of his own with 10 points and 11 rebounds while sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) tacked on 10 points and six boards off the bench.
- Junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) put up eight points and 12 boards as well for the Wasps.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Chance Greene notched a team-best 23 points while T.C. Thacker notched 11 points and eight rebounds.
- Jesse Case put up 11 points off the bench and four rebounds while Connor Schroeder had eight points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 51.3 percent (40-of-78) of its field goals connecting on 12 three-point field goals. The Wasps made 10-of-12 (83.3%) of their free throws, continuing their blistering pace at the stripe.
- Lynchburg went 29-for-63 (46%) from the floor with eight makes from long range. The Hornets were 15-for-21 (71.4%) on their foul shots.
- E&H posted a 42-33 rebounding advantage with a 17-10 lead on the offensive glass. The Wasps used that margin to post a 20-16 lead on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led 21-12 on points off turnovers, taking full advantage of 15 LC turnovers.
- Lynchburg posted a 42-32 margin on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Saturday when it hosts Randolph-Macon College in a battle of ODAC unbeatens at 2:00 p.m.
- The game will be the first in a doubleheader with the Wasps' women's team taking on Shenandoah at 4:30 p.m.