HAMPDEN SYDNEY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (14-1, 6-0 ODAC) used a pair of second half runs to build a 24-point lead as it cruised to an 86-75 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Hampden-Sydney College (4-11, 1-5 ODAC) Saturday on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 86, Hampden-Sydney 75
LOCATION – Hampden Sydney, Virginia
VENUE – Fleet Gymnasium at Kirby Fieldhouse
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (14-1, 6-0 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (4-11, 1-5 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 7-0 lead at the 16:47 mark of the first half. The Tigers rallied with a 12-3 run to take a 12-10 advantage five minutes later.
- The two squads battled through the middle part of the period before E&H broke through with an 8-2 run for a 27-21 lead with 5:49 to go before the intermission. The Wasps would extend their margin to eight at halftime (40-32) thanks to a three-pointer by freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.).
- Returning to action, the Tigers closed the gap to six, but that only set up a 15-3 run by the Wasps covering 4:10 for a 58-40 advantage. Emory & Henry would use another scoring spurt later in the half, this time a 17-6 run, for its largest lead of the game, 81-57, with 5:14 to go.
- The Wasps were then able to cruise to the 86-75 victory and get all 14 players on the roster some valuable game time against a conference opponent.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) poured in a game-high 25 points and added five assists, three rebounds and three steals to lead the Wasps.
- Suggs had 20 points and three steals, hitting four three-pointers, while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) notched a double-double with 12 points and 13 boards.
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) went for 13 points with a trio of makes from long range as well.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- Malik Crute put up 20 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals as 11 different HSC players found their way into the scoring column.
- Chaise Johnson notched 15 points off the bench while Nick Chase added seven points and four rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 50.8 percent (30-of-59) of its field goal attempts, connecting on 11 three-point baskets on the afternoon. The Wasps also went 15-of-20 (75%) at the free throw line.
- Hampden-Sydney also shot well from the floor, going 30-for-61 (49.2%) with 10 three-pointers. The Tigers only got to the line seven times, scoring five points (71.4%).
- E&H held a 37-20 rebounding advantage and a 15-6 lead on second-chance points.
- HSC led 34-26 on points in the paint and claimed a 20-17 margin on points off turnovers.
- The Wasps committed 18 turnovers in the contest compared to 19 miscues for the Tigers.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday to face off against Lynchburg College at 7:00 p.m.