EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (13-1, 5-0 ODAC) held off a second-half rally by Roanoke College (8-6, 1-4 ODAC) to earn a 75-73 victory Tuesday in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 75, Roanoke 73
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (13-1, 5-0 ODAC); Roanoke (8-6, 1-4 ODAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry built an 18-9 advantage at the 10:54 mark of the first half. The Wasps extended their margin to 32-21 before the Maroons went on an 8-1 run to close the gap down to 33-29 with 2:36 to go before the break.
- E&H would lead, 39-33, at the intermission.
- The Wasps went back up by nine points (47-38) in the first two minutes of the second half. Roanoke kept things close, getting to within 54-51 with 15:07 to play.
- The two squads traded baskets back and forth for the next 12 minutes as Emory & Henry stayed on top. The Maroons would not allow the Wasps to get more than eight points ahead the rest of the game.
- Eight-straight points by Roanoke gave the Maroons their first lead of the contest with 3:12 left on the clock, 71-69. Emory & Henry responded with the next six points for a 75-71 advantage and held on for the 75-73 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) led the Wasps with 27 points, going 10-for-13 from the field, and added eight rebounds and three assists.
- Junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had 12 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double while sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) tallied 11 points and seven assists.
- Freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) tacked on nine points while sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) contributed seven points off the bench.
Roanoke Individual Leaders
- Josh Freund achieved a double-double before the intermission and finished the game with 33 points and 17 rebounds.
- Joe Mikalauskas went for 14 points and three assists while Colten Reed had eight points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 45.5 percent (25-for-55) for the game, hitting six three-pointers. The Wasps hit just 19-of-28 (67.9%) free throw attempts.
- Roanoke connected on 28-of-61 (45.9%) of its field goals with five triples on the evening. The Maroons made 85.7 percent (12-of-14) of their free throws.
- RC held a 37-33 rebounding advantage and outscored E&H by a 40-26 margin on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road on Saturday for a league matchup at Hampden-Sydney College.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Tigers is scheduled for 2:00 p.m.