LEXINGTON, Ky. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (8-0, 2-0 ODAC) picked up an 82-78 come-from-behind win over Transylvania University (6-2, 3-1 HCAC) Wednesday evening at the Don Lane Classic. The contest was highlighted by senior guard John Shelor's (Giles, Va.) milestone accomplishment as he eclipsed the 1,000-point mark for his career at Emory & Henry. Shelor now sits at 1,008 career points and is averaging a career-best 16.4 points per game so far this year.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 82, Transylvania 78
LOCATION – Lexington, Kentucky
VENUE – Don Lane Court at the Clive M. Beck Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-0, 2-0 ODAC); Transylvania (6-2, 3-1 HCAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled to a 12-12 tie at the 13:21 mark of the first half before Transylvania took control of the game with a 11-2 run for a 23-14 advantage.
- The Pioneers extended their margin to 18 (41-23) with 2:19 to go before the break thanks to a 16-5 scoring spurt, and would hold a 41-30 lead at the intermission.
- Returning from the locker room, Transylvania extended the gap back to 15 before Emory & Henry put together a 16-4 covering 5:08 to get within three points at 55-52. The two teams traded baskets until senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) hit a free throw to knot the game at 63-all with 4:49 left.
- The Wasps would go on a 17-7 run for its largest lead of the game, 76-70, with 1:01 remaining. E&H held on through a fierce Pioneer surge which cut the margin to two points with 10 seconds to go (80-78) and came away with the 82-78 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Shelor went five-for-nine from the field for 15 points and added two rebounds and two assists.
- Branscomb finished with 17 points, five boards, three assists and two blocks while sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) put up 17 points of his own.
- Sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) contributed 10 points off the bench and junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) notched eight points, 13 rebounds, three blocks and two assists.
Transylvania Individual Leaders
- Kyle Gullett posted a game-high 22 points, hitting five three-pointers, and added four rebounds and three blocks.
- Michael Jefferson registered 20 points and four rebounds while Gabe Schmitt added 10 points and four assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 28-for-57 (49.1%) for the game with seven three-pointers and put up an 86.4 percent (19-for-22) effort at the free throw line.
- Transy hit 46.8 percent (29-for-62) of its field goal attempts, connecting on 10 shots from long range, and added 10 points at the charity stripe.
- E&H held a 31-30 rebounding advantage and scored 32 points in the paint.
- The Pioneers led, 16-12, on points off turnovers, taking advantage of 14 Wasp miscues despite 15 turnover of their own.
- Emory & Henry will face North Park University on Thursday afternoon at 3:00 p.m., concluding play in the Don Lane Classic.