MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (7-0, 2-0 ODAC) scored 61 points in the second half to remain perfect with a 104-86 win over Berry College (3-5, 0-1 SAA) Friday evening in non-conference action. It was the first time the Wasps have reached the century mark since a 109-86 win over Shenandoah University on January 14, 2017 and the sixth time in the past three seasons.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 104, Berry 86
LOCATION – Mount Berry, Georgia
VENUE – Cage Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-0, 2-0 ODAC); Berry (3-5, 0-1 SAA)
How It Happened
- The Wasps and Vikings battled through 12 ties and 13 lead changes over the first half. Neither squad led by more than three points during the opening 20 minutes with E&H taking a 43-30 advantage into the locker room.
- Emory & Henry opened the second half on a 10-0 run to make the score 53-40. The opening 10 points were part of a bigger 24-2 run which covered the opening 6:31 of the half and gave the Wasps a 67-42 advantage.
- E&H would lead by as many as 27 points in the second half and never looked back as its cruised to the 18-point victory and remained undefeated on the season.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) dropped 27 points to pace E&H, adding six rebounds, six steals and three assists.
- Junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds while sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) posted an unconventional double-double with 11 points and 12 assists, adding eight rebounds and five steals.
- Freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) contributed 18 points, four rebounds and four assists while senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) had eight points, five rebounds, four assists and two blocks.
Berry Individual Leaders
- Caleb Johnson put up a team-high 17 points while Quinn Atkinson added 16 points and four rebounds off the bench.
- McCarty Forte notched 14 points while Elijah Hirsh and Alton McCloud had 11 points and six rebounds each with McCloud adding seven assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 60 percent (39-of-65) of its shots including seven three-pointers and went 19-for-25 (76.0%) from the free throw line.
- Berry made 31-of-77 (40.3%) of its field goals, connecting on 12 triples and was 12-for-18 (66.7%) from the stripe.
- Emory & Henry held a 45-33 rebounding advantage and led 56-34 on points in the paint. The Wasps scored 29 points off 17 Viking turnovers and managed a 26-2 fast-break margin.
- Emory & Henry will travel to Lexington, Kentucky on Wednesday and Thursday to compete in Transylvania University's Don Lane Classic.
- The Wasps will face the host Pioneers on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m., and the North Park University Vikings on Thursday at 3:00 p.m.