EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (6-0, 2-0 ODAC) saw five players reach double figures in scoring as it pulled away from Eastern Mennonite University (2-5, 0-2 ODAC) for a 93-73 win Tuesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 93, Eastern Mennonite 73
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-0, 2-0 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (2-5, 0-2 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads battled to an 11-all tie at the 16:20 mark of the first half before Emory & Henry put up six-straight points for a 17-11 advantage. The Wasps used a 10-2 run covering 2:58 for their largest lead of the half, 31-22 but the Royals reeled the score back in with an 8-1 run, making it 32-30.
- Emory & Henry pushed back in the final two and a half minutes of the period, scoring eight of the last 10 points to take a 42-33 lead into the locker room.
- Returning from the intermission, four points in a row gave the Wasps the first double-digit lead of the contest, 46-33. EMU would whittle away at the margin to get within seven (53-46) at the 13:18 mark but E&H responded to extend its lead to 63-48 with 10 minutes left to play.
- Eastern Mennonite put up a 10-2 scoring spurt to cut the deficit to seven one last time but Emory & Henry held off the run and slowly built an insurmountable lead, resulting in the 93-73 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) led all players with 20 points on 9-for-15 shooting and added eight rebounds, two assists and two steals while sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) had 18 points, two assists, two steals and a block.
- Freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) put up 16 points with five assists while senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) added 14 points, four rebounds and two assists.
- Junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) notched 11 points off the bench while junior guard Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) posted a game-high 13 rebounds and two blocks.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Maleke Jones recorded 16 points, three assists and three steals to lead the Royals while RaShawn Latimer added 16 points, three rebounds and three assists.
- Isaiah Harris-Winn hit all four of his three-point attempts en route to 15 points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 50.7 percent (36-of-71) from the field with six three-pointers and a 15-for-19 (78.9%) effort at the free throw line.
- EMU went 27-for-58 (46.6%) from the floor with nine threes and connected on 10-of-14 (71.4%) of its free throw attempts.
- Emory & Henry held a 42-28 rebounding advantage and a 15-7 margin on the offensive glass. The Wasps outscored the Royals, 58-26, on points in the paint and 11-5 on second-chance points.
- E&H also led 18-10 on points off turnovers, capitalizing on 18 EMU miscues.
- Emory & Henry will break for exams and next take the court on Friday, December 15 at Berry College.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Vikings is set for 7:00 p.m.