WINCHESTER, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (5-0, 1-0 ODAC) needed five extra minutes in order to dispatch Shenandoah University (3-2, 0-1 ODAC), 87-82, Saturday afternoon in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference opener for each squad.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 87, Shenandoah 82
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia
VENUE – Shingleton Gym
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (5-0, 1-0 ODAC); Shenandoah (3-2, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- SU started things off with a 9-3 lead but seven in a row by E&H made the score 10-9 at the 15:21 mark of the first half. The Hornets responded to go up 22-15 thanks to an 11-3 spurt which covered 4:08, but a 14-5 run by the Wasps gave them their largest lead of the half, 33-29.
- Shenandoah closed the gap down to a 37-all tie at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the two squads continued to go back and forth as it would remain a two-possession contest throughout the second half. Emory & Henry would lead by as many as five points at the 13:53 mark while Shenandoah held a six-point advantage with 7:34 to play.
- Down by five, E&H scored six in a row to take a 71-70 lead with 2:21 in regulation but a three-pointer by Aaron Patterson put SU back ahead 73-71. Sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) scored the final four points of the second half for the Wasps, including a layup with 18 seconds to play which forced the overtime period.
- Emory & Henry led the entire way during the overtime, connecting on 66.7 percent of its field goals and 83.3 percent of its free throw attempts. Senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) scored seven of his 19 points during the extra period.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Molden led all players with 23 points, going 10-for-17 from the field, and added four rebounds, three steals and two assists.
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) had 22 points, hitting a trio of three-pointers, and three boards while Branscomb tacked on 19 points, six boards and two blocks.
- Junior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) and sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) added six points each off the bench while junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) pulled down a game-high 19 rebounds.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Kwa McDonald had 14 points to lead the Hornets while Patterson hit four three-pointers for 12 points.
- Christopher Chaney notched 13 points and six rebounds off the bench while Alan Dabney and Christian Meredith had nine and eight points, respectively.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 32-for-73 (43.8%) for the game and connected on seven three-pointers. The Wasps were 72.7% (16-for-22) from the free throw line, converting five of six attempts during the overtime period.
- Shenandoah hit 44.4 percent (32-of-72) of its field goal attempts and made 10 triples on the afternoon. The Hornets managed just 12 trips to the free throw line, coming away with eight points (66.7%).
- E&H held a 44-36 lead on points in the paint and scored 20 points off 21 SU turnovers.
- The Wasps posted a 44-42 rebounding margin, with a 14-13 lead on the offensive glass.
- The contest saw eight ties and 17 lead changes.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Tuesday for an ODAC contest against Eastern Mennonite University.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Royals is scheduled for 7:00 p.m.