RALEIGH, N.C. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (3-0, 0-0 ODAC) saw five players reach double figures in scoring as it earned a 98-83 non-conference win over William Peace University (1-3) Saturday afternoon on the road.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 98, William Peace 83
LOCATION – Raleigh, North Carolina
VENUE – Grover M. Hermann Athletic Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-0, 0-0 ODAC); William Peace (1-3, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- William Peace got out to a 10-4 lead at the 16:24 mark of the first half but Emory & Henry came alive with a 20-3 run covering the next 4:11 to go up 26-13.
- The Wasps pushed their margin to 19 (40-21) late in the half and held off an 11-2 spurt by the Pacers which got the score within 10 at 42-32 with 2:08 to play. E&H closed the half strongly to lead 52-38 at the intermission.
- Coming out of the break, the two squads traded baskets early to a 58-44 Emory & Henry lead. The Pacers went on a 10-2 run to trim the margin to double digits (60-52) for the first time since the 12:46 mark of the first half.
- E&H pushed the margin back to 71-57 but seven in a row by WPU kept things close as the Pacers trimmed the margin to as close as 85-80 with 4:31 to go.
- Emory & Henry finished the game on a 13-3 run to come away with the 15-point victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) led the Wasps with 24 points on 10-for-13 shooting with a pair of three-pointers, four steals and two assists while sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) hit five treys en route to 23 points and four assists.
- Sophomore guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) had 16 points off the bench while senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) put up his third-straight double-double with 14 points and 14 rebounds, adding four assists.
- Freshman guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) contributed 13 points, four assists and two steals.
William Peace Individual Leaders
- John Burwell led all players with 27 points and made it a double-double with 10 boards, nearly reaching triple-double status with nine assists and three steals.
- Trey Bryant put up 20 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double of his own while Joshua Jones and Paul Dunlap each registered eight points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 53.1 percent (34-of-64) from the field, hitting seven three-pointers on the afternoon. The Wasps were nearly perfect at the charity stripe, going 23-for-25 (92%) on their free throw attempts.
- William Peace connected on 32-of-64 (50%) of its shots with seven three-pointers made. The Pacers tacked on 12 points at the line (80%; 12-for-15).
- WPU held a 34-25 rebounding advantage, including a 15-7 margin on the offensive glass, to lead 16-9 on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry scored 24 points off 20 William Peace turnovers and held a 46-38 advantage on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Wednesday, November 29 when it visits Ferrum College.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and the Panthers is set for 7:00 p.m.