BRIDGEWATER, Va. – The Bridgewater College Football Team (4-4, 3-3 ODAC) picked up a 53-13 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (3-5, 2-4 ODAC) Saturday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference game. It was the second-straight win for the Eagles in the series following three-straight victories for the Wasps from 2014-16.
FINAL SCORE – Bridgewater 53, Emory & Henry 13
LOCATION – Bridgewater, Virginia
VENUE – Jopson Athletic Complex
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-5, 2-4 ODAC); Bridgewater (4-4, 3-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Eagles opened up a 15-0 lead after the first quarter thanks a rushing touchdowns by Demetrius Jalepes and a six-yard catch by Grant Monson from Jay Scroggins. Dakoda Shrader ran in a two-point conversion after Monson's score.
- BC pushed the margin to 29-0 with 6:43 left in the second as Jarrod Denham and Alex Galloway ran in for touchdowns from 41 and three yards, respectively.
- Emory & Henry got on the board with 1:57 to go before the intermission on a 10-yard rumble by freshman running back Robert Henesey (Poquoson, Va.) to make the score 29-6.
- In the third quarter, Bridgewater added three more touchdowns for a 46-6 lead. Scroggins found Trey Stephens with an 89-yard catch and run while Logan Weis and Galloway tacked on rushing touchdowns.
- Another score for the Eagles in on the first play of the fourth quarter made it 53-6.
- The Wasps capped the scoring with 4:30 left to go in the game. With BC on its own 23, senior linebacker Hunter Norris (Abingdon, Va.) forced a fumble that senior defensive lineman Brodyn Huddleston (Riner, Va.) scooped up and returned for a touchdown.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sophomore quarterback Jake Sturgill (Abingdon, Va.) threw for 134 yards in his first start at E&H while Henesey was the leading rusher with 84 yards and a touchdown.
- Senior defensive back Justin Banks (Coeburn, Va.) made seven tackles as he returned from injury while junior Jayden Rosenboro (Bristol, Va.) and freshman Stedman Graham (Harrisburg, N.C.) posted six stops each.
Bridgewater Individual Leaders
- Scroggins finished with 201 yards on 10-for-15 passing for two touchdowns, as the Eagles utilized eight different receivers on the afternoon. Stephens finished with three catches for 128 yards and a score.
- Galloway finished with 51 yards and two scores while Denham and Bassie Kanu ran for 59 and 58 yards, respectively.
- Re'Shaun Myers made eight tackles to lead the Eagles and assisted on a tackle for a loss. Da'Sean Davis forced a fumble and had three tackles while Davonta Womack added two pass breakups.
- Emory & Henry will return home for its final ODAC game of the year next Saturday against Guilford College.
- The contest, which will also serve as Senior Day for the Wasps, will kick off at 1:00 p.m.