EMORY, Va. – The Randolph-Macon College Football Team (7-1, 5-0 ODAC) remained atop the Old Dominion Athletic Conference standings with a 56-21 victory over Emory & Henry College (3-4, 2-3 ODAC). The Yellow Jackets are currently receiving votes in the AFCA NCAA Division III Top 25 Poll.
FINAL SCORE – Randolph-Macon 56, Emory & Henry 21
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (3-4, 2-3 ODAC); Randolph-Macon (7-1, 5-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- After a scoreless first quarter, R-MC got on the board with 12:52 to go before the half on a three-yard run by Tre Frederick.
- Emory & Henry answered on the ensuing drive, going 90 yards in 11 plays capped by a one-yard plunge by sophomore quarterback Hunter Taylor (Summerville, S.C.).
- The Yellow Jackets scored two more touchdown before the intermission as Sam Tanner found paydirt on a 49-yard catch-and-run from Burke Estes and Eric Hoy ran one in from seven yards out for a 21-7 lead.
- Randolph-Macon scored on all five of its second half possessions including a pair of touchdowns in the third quarter. Hoy got a 12-yard rush while Jordan Hall found the end zone on a 31-yard run to push the lead to 35-7.
- On the second play of the fourth quarter, the Wasps got back in action as sophomore quarterback Jake Sturgill (Abingdon, Va.) hit sophomore wideout Gunner Griffith (Bluff City, Tenn.) for a six-yard score.
- Hall and Shaheed Adeyola had scoring runs of 22 and 40 yards, respectively, early in the fourth to push the margin to 49-14.
- E&H did not quit as Sturgill linked up with senior wide receiver Chris Gannon (Alexandria, Va.) for a five-yard touchdown with 3:14 to go but R-MC capped the scoring with a five-yard rush by Joe McBride.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Sturgill threw for 221 yards and two touchdowns on 18-for-30 passing while Taylor finished with 117 yards despite two interceptions.
- Freshman Robert Henesey (Poquoson, Va.) and senior Sam Wagner (Marion, Va.) ran for 27 and 20 yards, respectively, to lead the Wasps' ground game.
- Junior Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) made eight catches for 143 yards, his third game of the year with over 100 receiving yards. Senior Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.) had five catches for 62 yards.
- Griffith and Gannon caught three passes apiece including one each for touchdowns.
- Sophomore defensive back Tyler Redmond (Arden, N.C.) led all players with 15 tackles including 14 solo while freshman linebacker Ivan Phillips (Kingsport, Tenn.) made 11 stops including one for a loss.
Randolph-Macon Individual Leaders
- Frederick ran the ball 30 times for 175 yards while Hall scored twice on 16 carries for 104 yards.
- Hoy finished with 40 yards on the ground and two scores.
- Estes went 7-for-12 through the air for 116 yards and a touchdown as Tanner caught a team-best three passes for 69 yards and a score.
- Matthew Vergara made 11 tackles to lead the Yellow Jackets while Stephen Richardson had six stops and two passes defended. Anthony Williams and Victor Robinson each had an interception with Robinson adding three pass breakups.
A Deeper Look
- R-MC finished the game with 408 rushing yards and 116 yards through the air for 524 yards of total offense while E&H managed just 382 yards of offense thanks to 338 passing yards.
- The Yellow Jackets commanded time of possession, holding the ball for 36:45 including 10:47 in the fourth quarter alone.
- Randolph-Macon was 7-for-10 on third down compared to only 4-for-13 for Emory & Henry.
- Emory & Henry will take to the road next Saturday for an ODAC matchup against Bridgewater College at Jopson Field.
- Kickoff is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.