EMORY, Va. – The Hampden-Sydney College Football Team (5-3, 3-1 ODAC) picked up a 38-30 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win against Emory & Henry College (2-6, 1-4 ODAC) Saturday at Fred Selfe Stadium. The contest served as Senior Day for the Wasps, who honored their 10 seniors competing in their final home game prior to kickoff.
FINAL SCORE – Hampden-Sydney 38, Emory & Henry 30
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Nicewonder Field at Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-6, 1-4 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (5-3, 1-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Tigers got on the board just 14 seconds into the game, as Griffin Davis intercepted the Wasps' first play from scrimmage and returned it 23 yards for a touchdown. Alec Cobb hit Cam Johnson for the two-point conversion.
- Emory & Henry took a 10-8 lead midway through the opening period thanks to a 30-yard field goal by sophomore kicker Matt Seals (Rogersville, Tenn.) and a 95-yard interception return by junior defensive lineman Josh Fleenor (Christiansburg, Va.).
- HSC scored the next 21 point to go up 29-10 with 2:54 to play before the intermission. Cobb hit Major Morgan for touchdown passes of seven and 53 yards while Mike DeMasi ran one in from 32 yards out.
- E&H got a score back before the half on a 36-yard catch by junior wideout Jesse Santiago (Yorktown, Va.) from senior quarterback Kevin Saxton (Monroe, N.C.) for the 29-16 score.
- Coming out of the break, Saxton and Santiago linked up again, this time with a two-yard catch, trimming the margin to 29-23.
- Cobb answered back for the Tigers, finding Cam Johnson for a 28-yard touchdown pass late in the third for a 35-23 lead.
- Emory & Henry closed the gap to five with a 24-yard touchdown catch on a route down the right side of the field by senior running back Isaiah Rodgers (Canton, Ga.) from Saxton.
- The Tigers made it an eight-point game on a 25-yard field goal by Steven Hall, which would be enough to seal the 38-30 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Saxton threw for 391 yards and three touchdowns on 30-for-54 passing but also had a pair of picks on the afternoon.
- Rogers was the leading rusher with just 31 yards on 12 touches.
- Santiago caught nine passes for a team-high 135 yards and two scores while sophomore wideout Derrick Yates (Abingdon, Va.) had 10 catches for 134 yards.
- Sophomore linebacker Jake Jessee (Norton, Va.) and senior linebacker Zack Manley (Tobaccoville, N.C.) each had nine tackles while Manley blocked a punt.
- Fleenor finished the game with eight tackles including two for a loss and a 95-yard interception return for a defensive score.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- Cobb threw for 448 yards on 28-for-37 passing and three touchdowns, while DeMasi had 99 yards and a touchdown on 24 carries.
- Morgan caught seven balls for 209 yards and two touchdowns while Johnson led all players with 12 catches for 204 yards and a score.
- Brian Gwaltney posted a game-high 14 tackles, an interception and a blocked field goal while Ryan Mallory tacked on seven stops and two passes defended.
- Griffin Davis added five tackles to his 23-yard interception return while Chad Vanlandingham notched six stops on the afternoon.
- With his 391 yards on Saturday, Saxton is now the Emory & Henry career leader in passing yards. His career tally now sits at 8,324 yards.
- Seals' 30-yard field goal in the first quarter was his 11th-straight make, breaking the previous E&H best of 10-straight field goals.
- Emory & Henry take to the road for its final two games of the season, first travelling to the Tidewater of Virginia for next week's contest against The Apprentice School.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Builders in their non-conference contest is set for 1:00 p.m., at the Apprentice Athletic Facility in Newport News.