RANDLEMAN, N.C. – The Intermont Equestrian at Emory & Henry College IHSA Team posted a third-place finish in the final regular season show of the year Saturday at UNC-Greensboro. The Wasps earned the Zone 4 – Region 5 Championship for the second time in three years and qualified for the Zone 4 Finals in April.
TEAM PLACE – 3rd/12
LOCATION – Randleman, North Carolina
VENUE – Townley Equestrian Center
- Senior Francisco Caba-Guil (Almería, SPAIN) finished third in Open Equitation on the Flat and was fourth Over Fences.
- Freshman Hayden Wilkes (Shamong, N.J.) claimed a victory at Intermediate Flat while junior Maddie Bonner (Powhatan, Va.) was third. Freshman Kylee Bucholz (Cornelius, N.C.) won at Intermediate Over Fences.
- In Novice competition, freshman Emilie Fink (Jamesport, N.C.) claimed a first-place finish Over Fences while sophomore Sarah Savona (Rockville, Md.) was third. Freshman Mackenzie Gwin (Fort Leavenworth, Kan.) was the reserve champion for Novice Flat while freshman Brooke Viehman (Shorewood, Ill.) was fourth.
- Sophomore Kaitlin Meredith (Mashpee, Mass.) was second in Walk/Trot/Canter Equitation while freshman Brinley Thomas (Farmville, Va.) was second at Walk/Trot.
- Virginia Tech was the team champion of the day while High Point University earned team reserve champion honors.
- Colleen Shea-Hackett of Averett University was named high-point rider of the day while Western Carolina University's Ally Jones was reserve high-point rider.
- Intermont Equestrian will next compete at the Zone 4 – Region 5 Finals on Saturday, March 16.
- Averett will serve as the host for this year's region championship which will serve as the first step for qualified individuals to begin their trek to the IHSA National Finals in May.