BREVARD, N.C. – The Brevard College Baseball Team (4-9) scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh to erase and 1-0 deficit and held on for a 3-2 win over visiting Emory & Henry College (2-8) Wednesday afternoon in non-conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Brevard 3, Emory & Henry 2
LOCATION – Brevard, North Carolina
VENUE – Gil Coan Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-8, 0-0 ODAC); Brevard (4-9, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry broke open a scoreless game in the top of the fourth as junior designated hitter Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) drove in junior catcher Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.) with a single to left-center.
- The Tornados went ahead, 3-1, in the seventh as Matthew Kelley plated two with a double and scored on Holden Lanier's single up the middle on the next at bat.
- E&H responded in the top of the eighth as sophomore first baseman Joe Tolone (Concord, N.C.) scored Wallace from second on a double down the right field line.
- The Wasps got the tying run aboard with one out in the top of the ninth, but came up short, 3-2.
- Michael Merryman earned the win for BC, scattering one run on five hits with seven strikeouts over seven innings of work. Bryce Bowers picked up the save, allowing one unearned run in the final two frames.
- Sophomore J.T. Agosto (Cornelius, N.C.) suffered the loss, permitting three runs on five hits with three strikeouts in 6.2 innings.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Saturday to open Old Dominion Athletic Conference play against No. 27 Shenandoah University. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for noon.