LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, Ga. – The Covenant College Baseball Team (5-1, 0-0 USA South) completed the series sweep with a pair of wins over Emory & Henry College (1-5, 0-0 ODAC) Saturday afternoon. The Scots took game one by a 7-1 score and concluded the day with an 8-5 victory.
GAME ONE – Covenant 7, Emory & Henry 1
GAME TWO – Covenant 8, Emory & Henry 5
LOCATION – Lookout Mountain, Georgia
VENUE – Covenant Baseball Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-5, 0-0 ODAC); Covenant (5-1, 0-0 USA South)
- E&H opened the scoring in the top of the first on a double to left field by senior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.), which plated senior shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.).
- The Scots took the lead on a two-run single to left field by John Mitchell in the bottom of the first.
- C.J. Edmond had a solo home run in the third while Alex Gonzalez added two runs for Covenant in the fifth on a round-tripper.
- Two more runs in the sixth gave the Scots their final 7-1 marign.
- Andrew Cline earned the win, scattering one run on nine hits with seven strikeouts over six innings of work
- Emory & Henry sophomore Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) took the loss, allowing five runs on seven hits with four strikeouts in 4.1 innings.
- After two scoreless innings, the Wasps struck in the third to take a 2-0 lead on base hits by Sexton and junior designated Chandler Kezele (Marshall, Va.).
- Covenant put up five runs in the third highlighted by a bases clearing single to right centerfield by Tommy Easley.
- In the fourth, senior centerfielder Lukas Hart (Abingdon, Va.) drove in a run with a double to left center to close the gap to 5-3.
- An inside the park home run by John Mitchell highlighted a three-run sixth as the Scots extended their lead to 8-3.
- Sophomore first baseman Joe Tolone (Concord, N.C.) gave the Wasps their final runs of the game with a two-run shot to left field in the sixth, but the rally came up short.
- Jackson Heuer earned the win, allowing just three runs on 11 hits in 4.1 innings pitched.
- Wasp freshman Tyler Muncy (Wise, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs on six hits in three innings of work.
- Emory & Henry will host SUNY Fredonia in a three-game series on Saturday, February 23 and Sunday, February 24. Saturday's doubleheader is set to being at noon.