LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, Ga. – The Covenant College Baseball Team (3-1, 0-0 USA South) scored 13 runs between the third and sixth innings on its way to a 17-5 win over Emory & Henry College (1-3, 0-0 ODAC) Friday afternoon in the first of a three-game set between the two teams.
FINAL SCORE – Covenant 17, Emory & Henry 5
LOCATION – Lookout Mountain, Georgia
VENUE – Covenant Baseball Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-3, 0-0 ODAC); Covenant (3-1, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- E&H got the scoring started in the top of the first with a RBI single by sophomore first baseman Joe Tolone (Concord, N.C.) and a sacrifice fly by junior designated hitter Chandler Kezele (Marshall, Va.).
- The Scots went ahead, 3-2, in the bottom of the first with two unearned runs, but the Wasps responded in the second with a single up the middle by junior catcher Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.).
- A three-run home run by Tommy Easley highlighted the Covenant third as it went ahead for good.
- The bottom of the eighth saw the Scots cap the scoring with a three-run homer by Lewis Saunders.
- Covenant's Matt Reitz earned the win, allowing four earned runs on six hits with four strikeouts in 5.1 innings of work. The Scots bullpen was efficient, allowing just one hit in the final 3.2 innings of the game.
- E&H sophomore J.T. Agosto (Cornelius, N.C.) took the loss, allowing five runs on two hits and five walks in 2.2 innings.
- Emory & Henry will finish the series with Covenant on Saturday with a pair of seven-inning games beginning at noon.