MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (1-1, 0-0 ODAC) got the 2019 season off to a start on Saturday with a pair of seven-inning games against Berry College (1-2, 0-0 SAA). The Vikings earned a come-from-behind, 7-6 win in eight innings to start the day while the Wasps claimed an 8-4 victory in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – Berry 7, Emory & Henry 6 (eight innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Berry 4
LOCATION – Mount Berry, Georgia
VENUE – William R. Bowdoin Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (1-1, 0-0 ODAC); Berry (1-2, 0-0 SAA)
- E&H scored three times in the top of the first, highlighted by a double by sophomore first baseman Joe Tolone (Concord, N.C.).
- The Wasps pushed the margin to 6-0 in the fifth as Tolone had another RBI double. Junior designated hitter Chandler Kezele (Marshall, Va.) and junior catcher Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.) also drove in runs in the frame.
- Berry began its rally in the bottom of the fifth as Dylan Beasley posted a sacrifice fly. The Vikings closed the gap to 6-3 in the sixth and tied things up in the seventh with three runs. Casey Whitaker had a RBI double in the seventh.
- In the bottom of the eighth, Berry got the walk-off victory n Whitaker's single up the middle.
- William Gibbons earned the win in relief for the Vikings, striking out one in one inning of work.
- Sophomore Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) went 4.1 innings for the Wasps, allowing one run on two hits for the no-decision. Freshman Landon Biddix (Lenior, N.C.) suffered the loss.
- The Vikings got on the board in the bottom of the first on a sacrifice play that included an error.
- Emory & Henry responded with four scores in the top of the second including a two-run single up the middle by senior shortstop Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.).
- In the bottom of the second, Berry closed the gap to 4-3 but Tolone plated a pair in the top of the fourth with a bases-loaded single to center field to make the score 6-3.
- E&H got another run in the fourth and one in the sixth while Berry scored its final run in the bottom of the fourth on a double by Reeve Holley.
- Junior Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) earned the win in relief, scattering three runs on four hits over three innings of work. Junior Ethan Cave (Jonesville, Va.) earned a three-inning save, closing out the game for the Wasps.
- Berry's Spence Johns suffered the loss, allowing six runs on six hits and two walks.
- Emory & Henry and Berry will play a nine-inning game to decide the series on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.