LEXINGTON, Va. – The Washington and Lee University Baseball Team (14-23, 6-14 ODAC) concluded the regular season with a doubleheader sweep of visiting Emory & Henry (11-21, 4-16 ODAC) Saturday afternoon. The Generals took game one by a 7-4 score and completed the day with an 11-8 victory.
GAME ONE – Washington and Lee 7, Emory & Henry 4
GAME TWO – Washington and Lee 11, Emory & Henry 8
LOCATION – Lexington, Virginia
VENUE – Dick Smith Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-21, 4-16 ODAC); Washington and Lee (14-23, 6-14 ODAC)
- E&H got on the board in the top of the first when junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) singled to left field, scoring senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.).
- The Generals knotted the game at 1-1 in the bottom of the first before a double by senior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) gave E&H a 2-1 lead.
- Washington and Lee took a 5-2 advantage after three thanks to a bases-loaded walk by Austin Crane and a two-run base hit by Paul Diven.
- Two more runs in the sixth by the Generals pushed the margin to 7-2 before Macek drove in a pair with a double down the left field line to make the final score 7-4.
- Brian Morgan earned the win in relief, allowing one run on three hits in four innings of work.
- E&H senior Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) allowed five earned runs on eight hits and four walks with four strikeouts.
- W&L scored five runs in the bottom of the second to get things started, but E&H responded with three runs in the top of the third thanks to a bases clearing triple by senior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.).
- The Generals pushed their lead to 10-4 after four innings thanks to one runs in the third and four in the fourth. Marshall Dike had a two-run single in the fourth frame.
- In the top of the fifth, Emory & Henry scored twice to draw the score to 10-6 with junior catcher Connor Stevenson (Stephens City, Va.) driving in one on a single through the right side.
- After W&L scored in the bottom of the fifth to make it 11-6, sophomore designated hitter Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) capped the scoring, 11-8, with a two-run double to right center.
- Tom Kellogg achieved the victory in relief, allowing two runs on two hits in 1.1 innings pitched while Danny Devereux got the save, pitching the ninth for the Generals.
- Wasp sophomore Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on six hits.
- With the completion of the 2018 season, E&H will now await the announcement of the All-ODAC Teams.
- The teams will be announced on Friday, May 11 in conjunction with the start of the ODAC Tournament Final Four event at City Stadium in Lynchburg, Virginia.