SALEM, Va. – The Guilford College Baseball Team (20-16-1, 8-10 ODAC) built a 6-2 lead and held off a ninth-inning rally by Emory & Henry College (11-19, 4-14 ODAC) to pick up a 6-5 win Wednesday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action.
FINAL SCORE – Guilford 6, Emory & Henry 5
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-19, 4-14 ODAC); Guilford (20-16-1, 8-10 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got the scoring started in the bottom of the first when junior third baseman Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) drove in senior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) with a single to right-centerfield.
- The Quakers offense awoke in the sixth as they scored three runs to take a 3-1 lead. Dylan Tuttle and Rocco Wilcox both had RBI base hits in the frame.
- In the bottom of the seventh, the Wasps closed the gap to 3-2 on a single up the middle by senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.).
- GC answered with three more runs in the eighth to open up a 5-2 advantage. Wilcox added another RBI single and two runs scored on a single by Brett Shapcott.
- Emory & Henry made its run in the bottom of the ninth as Watkins drove in a runs with a single to centerfield and sophomore Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.) plated a pair with a pinch-hit single. The Wasps had the game-winning run aboard with two outs but could not push another run across, falling 6-5.
- Zach Dinkins picked up the win, allowing one earned run on six hits with five strikeouts in 6.1 innings of work. Trevor Denton picked up the save, entering the game in the ninth.
- Wasp freshman Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) suffered the loss, giving up three runs on seven hits with five strikeouts in seven innings pitched.
- Emory & Henry will conclude the 2018 regular season on Saturday when it travels to Washington and Lee University for an ODAC doubleheader. First pitch is set for 12:30 p.m.