SALEM, Va. – The No. 14 Roanoke College Baseball Team (24-7, 13-3 ODAC) scored three runs in the bottom of the eighth inning to put together a come-from-behind win over visiting Emory & Henry College (11-16, 4-11 ODAC) Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – No. 14 Roanoke 5, Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Salem, Virginia
VENUE – Haley Toyota Field at Salem Memorial Ballpark
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-16, 4-11 ODAC); No. 14 Roanoke (24-7, 13-3 ODAC)
How It Happened
- E&H jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the first inning. Senior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) had a RBI single to highlight the frame.
- Roanoke tied the game at two in the bottom of the first on a triple by Cody Shell and a single by Jack Howard.
- The Wasps went back ahead, 3-2 in the fifth on a single by senior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.).
- In the bottom of the eighth, the nationally-ranked Maroons mounted their comeback to lead 5-3 with one inning to play. Howard got his second RBI of the game to tie things up the go-ahead run came thanks to a single by Sam Watson.
- Cam Eck picked up the win in relief, while Sal Trancucci earned the save, shutting down the Wasps in the ninth inning.
- Emory & Henry freshman Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) suffered the loss, allowing three earned runs on eight hits in 7.1 innings of work.
- Emory & Henry returns home for an ODAC doubleheader on Saturday against Virginia Wesleyan University at noon.
- The Wasps will honor their 11 seniors prior to the start of game one.