BLUEFIELD, Va. – The Bluefield College Baseball Team (22-14) built a 9-2 lead through six innings and held off a charge in the final third of the game by Emory & Henry College (11-15) to claim a 10-9 win Tuesday afternoon. It was the second time in seven days that the Wasps and Rams have played one another.
FINAL SCORE – Bluefield 10, Emory & Henry 9
LOCATION – Bluefield, Virginia
VENUE – Bowen Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-15, 4-10 ODAC); Bluefield (22-14, 7-13 AAC)
How It Happened
- E&H opened up a 2-0 lead through two innings thanks to a fielder's choice by junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) and a sacrifice fly by senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.).
- The Rams pulled ahead 3-2 after four thanks to a run in the third and two in the fourth. Jordan Ackerman had a RBI single to highlight the fourth.
- In the fifth, BC pushed three runs across with another base knock from Ackerman to go up 6-2.
- A two-run homer by Joshua Magee in the sixth highlighted a three-run frame to make the score 9-2.
- Emory & Henry answered with five runs in the top of the seventh to close the gap to 9-7. Freshman Hayden Milley (Clover, S.C.) led things off with a two-run double while freshman Joe Tolone (Concord, N.C.) had a RBI base hit of his own.
- Bluefield got an insurance run in the bottom of the seventh to extend the margin to 10-7.
- Down to their last three outs, the Wasps pushed a pair across to make the final score 10-9 but would get no closer.
- Senior Jacob Collins (Wytheville, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing two earned runs on three hits in three innings of work.
- Jose Roldan picked up the win in relief, throwing two innings of shutout ball allowing just one hit. Tom Conklin earned the save.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face No. 14 Roanoke College in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference game Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m.
- The contest will be played at Haley Toyota Field at Salem Memorial Ballpark. The facility is located in the James E. Taliferro Sports and Entertainment Complex.