EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (11-14, 4-10 ODAC) picked up its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference sweep of the year Saturday over Bridgewater College (16-16-1, 5-11 ODAC). The Wasps took the series by scores of 7-4 and 7-2.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 7, Bridgewater 4
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Bridgewater 2
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-14, 4-10 ODAC); Bridgewater (16-16-1, 5-11 ODAC)
Game One – Emory & Henry 7, Bridgewater 4
- Bridgewater got out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the third on a pair of base hits by Chris King and Cameron Stanley.
- The Wasps put up five runs in the fifth thanks to a pair of home runs by sophomore catcher Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) and senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.).
- E&H extended its lead to 6-2 after six on a double to left-center by senior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.).
- BC put up single runs in the eighth and ninth but a run by the Wasps in the eighth proved to be enough insurance as E&H took game one 7-4.
- Senior right-hander Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) picked up the complete-game victory, allowing four runs on 10 hits while striking out nine.
- Andrew Berry took the loss for the Eagles, allowing five runs on six hits in five innings of work.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 7, Bridgewater 2
- BC opened up a 2-0 lead in the top of the third thanks to a single up the middle by Brett Jones and a bases-loaded walk by J.T. Creed.
- Emory & Henry took the lead with three runs in the fifth highlighted by a two-run single by junior third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.).
- With the Eagle bats going cold, the Wasps added four more runs in the bottom of the seventh for the 7-2 final margin. Smith capped the scoring with a two-run double to left field.
- Emory & Henry junior Kyle Creasey (South Chesterfield, Va.) picked up the win in relief, allowing just two base runners in five innings of shutout ball.
- Bridgewater's Jordan Showalter took the loss, giving up six runs on nine hits and two walks in 6.2 innings.
- Emory & Henry will be on the road Tuesday at 2:00 p.m., when it travels to face Bluefield College.