WINCHESTER, Va. – The Shenandoah University Baseball Team (18-6, 8-3 ODAC) earned a doubleheader sweep over Emory & Henry College (9-12, 2-10 ODAC) Friday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference action. The Hornets took the series by scores of 19-2 and 18-3. The games were originally scheduled to be played on Saturday, but the forecast of cold, wet weather across the Commonwealth forced the schedule change.
GAME ONE – Shenandoah 19, Emory & Henry 2
GAME TWO – Shenandoah 18, Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Winchester, Virginia
VENUE – Bridgeforth Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-12, 2-10 ODAC); Shenandoah (18-6, 8-3 ODAC)
- SU scored seven runs in the bottom of the first and pushed the margin to 10-0 after five innings.
- Six more runs in the sixth and three in the seventh extended the lead to 19-0.
- Emory & Henry spoiled the shutout bid with a pair of RBI doubles from junior third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) and junior catcher Connor Stevenson (Stephens City, Va.) in the top of the ninth.
- Colin Morse earned the win for the Hornets, allowing just one hit and three walks in eight innings of work with seven strikeouts. Wasp senior Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) suffered the loss.
- Emory & Henry got out to a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when senior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) scored on a wild pitch.
- Shenandoah answered with a run in the bottom of the first and build a 7-1 advantage after three thanks to five runs in the third.
- The Hornets stretched the margin to 12-1 with five more scores in the fifth before the Wasps scored twice in the seventh to draw the tally to 12-3. Junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) highlighted the frame with a RBI single.
- SU got a run back in the bottom of the seventh and tacked on five more in the eighth for the final 18-3 score.
- Robert Klinchock picked up the victory for Shenandoah, scattering three runs on six hits across 6.2 innings of work. E&H sophomore Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) took the loss, allowing seven runs on eight hits in four innings.
- Emory & Henry will step out of ODAC play on Monday when it travels to face Greensboro College.
- First pitch is scheduled for 4:00 p.m.