LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (9-9, 2-7 ODAC) split its pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference games with Lynchburg College (12-11, 5-6 ODAC) Saturday afternoon on the road. E&H took an 11-3 decision in the first game while LC salvaged the split with an 11-8 win in the nightcap.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 11, Lynchburg 3
GAME TWO – Lynchburg 11, Emory & Henry 8
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Fox Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-9, 2-7 ODAC); Lynchburg (12-11, 5-6 ODAC)
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 2-0 lead after two innings and a three-run third pushed the margin to 5-0. Junior third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) tagged a two-run home run to highlight the third frame.
- Three runs in both the fifth and sixth innings extended the E&H advantage to 11-0. Junior designated hitter Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) plated a pair with a single through the right side in the fifth while junior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) capped the scoring with a two-run double in the sixth.
- Lynchburg spoiled the shutout with three runs in the eighth, two of which came on a single by Matthew Stephens.
- Junior Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) earned the victory, striking out a career-high 12, including seven looking, as he allowed just two runs on four hits in 7.1 innings of work.
- Matt Kane suffered the loss, allowing five runs on nine hits in 3.1 innings.
- Lynchburg started the game off with two runs in the bottom of the first on a single down the right field line by Thomas Powell. The Hornets extended their margin to 5-0 with three runs in the second.
- Emory & Henry got on the board with single runs in the fourth and fifth to make the score 5-2.
- In the sixth, LC scored four runs including two on a single by Colin Corey for a 9-2 advantage.
- The Wasps closed the gap to 9-5 with three runs in the eighth but the Hornets responded with a pair of scores in the bottom half of the frame for an 11-5 advantage.
- E&H scored three times in top of the ninth, highlighted by a two-run triple by Straw, but could get no closer than the 11-8 final score.
- David Goulding picked up the win in relief, going 6.1 innings while despite allowing eight runs on 14 hits. Graham Boggio earned the save, pitching the final two outs of the contest.
- Wasp sophomore Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) suffered the loss, allowing five runs on six hits with four strikeouts.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face Guilford College in an ODAC contest Wednesday afternoon at 3:00 p.m.