EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball evened its season record at 8-8 with an 8-5 victory over Ferrum College (9-15) Wednesday afternoon at home. The contest was the final meeting between the Wasps and Panthers as non-conference opponents as FC will join the Old Dominion Athletic Conference over the summer.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 8, Ferrum 5
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-8, 1-6 ODAC); Ferrum (9-15, 7-4 USA South)
How It Happened
- E&H got out to a 1-0 lead in bottom of the second on an infield single by senior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.). With the score tied at one in the third, the Wasps added a pair on a home run to left field by junior designated hitter Eli Straw (Radford, Va.).
- The two squads traded runs through the fourth and fifth to a 4-4 tie.
- Emory & Henry scored four times in the seventh to take an 8-4 lead. Sophomore catcher Caleb Wallace (Mocksville, N.C.) had a two-run single down the left field line to highlight the frame.
- Ferrum got a run back on a sacrifice fly by Jake Martin in the top of the ninth to make the final score 8-5.
- Wasp freshman J.T. Agosto (Cornelius, N.C.) picked up the win in relief, scattering one run on three hits over 4.1 innings of work.
- Colby Grissom suffered the loss for the Panthers, allowing four runs on five hits in just two-thirds of an inning.
- Emory & Henry will visit Lynchburg College on Saturday for an ODAC doubleheader.
- First pitch is set for noon.