HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (7-7, 1-5 ODAC) picked up its first Old Dominion Athletic Conference win of the year Sunday afternoon as it split with Eastern Mennonite University (11-11, 2-5 ODAC) on the road. The Wasps earned a 16-13 win in game one, pounding out 21 hits, while the Royals came away with a 4-1 victory in a pitchers' duel to close out the day.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 16, Eastern Mennonite 13
GAME TWO – Eastern Mennonite 4, Emory & Henry 1
LOCATION – Harrisonburg, Virginia
VENUE – EMU Baseball Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-7, 1-5 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (11-11, 2-5 ODAC)
- EMU got out to a 4-0 lead after four innings of play. Jaylon Lee hit a three-run home run in the fourth to highlight the period.
- Emory & Henry scored five times in the fifth for a 5-4 advantage. Senior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) and junior third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.) both had two-run base hits in the inning.
- The Wasps pushed their advantage to 13-6 after six runs in the seventh and two in the eighth. Straw and junior designated hitter Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.) each knocked two-run doubles down the line in the seventh.
- In the bottom of the eighth, the Royals clawed their way back into the game with seven runs capped by a two-run double by Ray Tricario, tying the score, 13-all.
- Down to their last three outs, E&H scored three times in the ninth for the 16-13 win. Junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) got things going with a single to right field and the Wasps picked up a pair of insurance runs when sophomore catcher Corbin Hockensmith (Huntersville, N.C.) reached on an error that brought two runs in.
- Freshman J.T. Agosto (Cornelius, N.C.) earned the win in relief while sophomore Ethan Cave (Jonesville, Va.) picked up the save, recording the final two outs of the game.
- Ryan Brewer took the loss for the Royals, allowing three runs on three hits, entering in the ninth inning.
- EMU got out to a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first as Tricarico singled up the middle. The Royals pushed the margin to 3-0 on a double to left field by Brett Lindsay and a sacrifice fly by Corey Willis.
- The Wasps got on the board in the fourth when Straw singled through the left side, making the score 3-1.
- Brendon Salladay made a 4-1 final score for Eastern Mennonite with a single in the fifth as the final four innings of the game went scoreless.
- Bailey Hall picked up the complete-game victory for the Royals, scattering on run on eight hits with four strikeouts.
- Wasp sophomore Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) suffered the loss, allowing three runs on six hits.
- Emory & Henry will host No. 7 Roanoke College in an ODAC game on Tuesday afternoon at 3:00 p.m.