EMORY, Va. – The No. 18 Maryville (Tenn.) College Baseball Team (19-5) opened up an 8-2 lead and was able to hold off a late rally by Emory & Henry College (6-6) for an 8-7 non-conference victory Monday afternoon.
FINAL SCORE – No. 18 Maryville 8, Emory & Henry 7
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-6, 0-4 ODAC); No. 18 Maryville (19-5, 4-5 USA South)
How It Happened
- Maryville got started early with a pair of runs in the top the first. A sacrifice fly by Johnny Carpenter put MC on the board.
- The Scots added a pair in the third to take a 4-0 lead, highlighted by back-to-back doubles by Hayden Hollingsworth and Jake Petersen.
- E&H answered with two runs in the bottom of the fifth to close the gap to 4-2. Junior second baseman Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va.) had a RBI single and two batters later senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.) drew a bases loaded walk.
- The MC offense got back to work in the sixth with four runs. Alden Wright highlighted the frame with a solo home run to left centerfield.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Emory & Henry put up three runs including one on a pinch-hit single to left field by junior Eli Straw (Radford, Va.).
- The Wasps drew the score to 8-7 in the bottom of the eighth on a sacrifice fly by junior left fielder Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.). E&H got the tying run in scoring position in the bottom of the ninth, but was unable to produce any more offense.
- Zach McGee earned the win in relief while Trevor Townsend pitched the final two innings for the save. Townsend allowed just two unearned runs on two hits with two strikeouts.
- Emory & Henry freshman Noah Griffin (Fort Mill, S.C.) took the loss, allowing six runs on eight hits in five innings of work.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Wednesday when it hosts Ferrum College
- First pitch is scheduled for 3:00 p.m.