EMORY, Va. – The Hampden-Sydney College Baseball Team (10-4, 4-0 ODAC) earned an Old Dominion Athletic Conference sweep over Emory & Henry College (6-5, 0-4 ODAC) Sunday afternoon. The Tigers got the opener by a 19-3 score and held on through an instant classic in the nightcap, winning 9-8 in 12 innings.
GAME ONE – Hampden-Sydney 19, Emory & Henry 3
GAME TWO – Hampden-Sydney 9, Emory & Henry 8 (12 innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-5, 0-4 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (10-4, 4-0 ODAC)
- Hampden-Sydney scored in the top of the third to take a 1-0 lead in the game. The Tigers poured on six runs in the fourth, two of which came in on Devin Daugherty's at bat.
- In the fifth, HSC added five runs for a 12-0 advantage and pressed the margin to 18-0 after six. Tyler Blevins had a two-run single to highlight the inning.
- E&H got on the board in the bottom of the sixth with one run and made the final score 18-3 thanks to a two-run homer by senior left fielder Zach Smith (Powder Springs, Ga.) in the eighth.
- Chase Mayberry picked up the win for the Tigers, allowing just one run on five hits in six innings of work.
- Wasp junior Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) suffered the loss, allowing eight runs on 10 hits in 4.1 innings pitched.
- HSC broke open a scoreless game with two runs in the top of the fourth when Daugherty hit a two-run homer to left field. The Tigers pushed their advantage to 4-0 in the fifth.
- Emory & Henry tied the contest at four runs apiece in the bottom of the sixth frame. Smith scored after a failed pickoff attempt resulted in an error to start the scoring. Junior catcher Kodi McIlwraith (Roanoke, Va.) drove in a run with a single to left centerfield later in the inning.
- The Wasps went ahead, 5-4, in the seventh on a single through the right side by senior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.).
- Hampden-Sydney tied the game, 5-all, in the top of the night but E&H was unable to score in the bottom of the frame, forcing extra innings.
- The Tigers plated four runs in the 12th, including two on a double to right centerfield by Jacob Bartlett.
- Emory & Henry scored three times in the 12th to draw the score within one, 9-8, but couldn't get over the hump.
- Jonathan Triesler earned the win in relief, scattering one earned run on four hits with three strikeouts across 4.1 innings. Trey Celata picked up the save.
- Freshman Zach Houston (Waxhaw, N.C.) took the loss, allowing four runs on two hits with three walks in three-plus innings of work.
- Emory & Henry will remain at home on Monday when it steps out of ODAC play to host No. 18 Maryville (Tenn.) College at 3:00 p.m.