EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (2-1, 0-0 ODAC) picked up its first two wins of the year Friday afternoon with a 3-2 and 7-2 sweep of Mount Aloysius College (0-2, 0-0 AMCC) at home. The contests were the first two of a three-game series between the Wasps and Mounties to be played this weekend.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 3, Mount Aloysius 2 (seven innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 7, Mount Aloysius 2 (seven innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (2-1, 0-0 ODAC); Mount Aloysius (0-2, 0-0 AMCC)
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the bottom of the second on a fielder's choice by senior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.).
- MAC tied things up in the top of the fourth on a single to left field by Sam Keibler.
- The Wasps retook the lead, 3-1, with two runs in the fifth, highlighted by a single up the middle by junior right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.).
- In the top of the seventh, the Mounties drew the margin to 3-2 on a squeeze play by Dalton Garlock, but would get no closer as the Wasps took the win.
- Junior right-hander Gavin Felty (Bristol, Va.) struck out a career-high 11 batters as he earned the complete-game win, scattering one earned run on five hits and two walks. It was the most strikeouts by an Emory & Henry pitcher since then-senior Jessup Lambert sat down 12 batters against Hampden-Sydney in 2013.
- Tristan Gelvin suffered the loss for Mount Aloysius, as he allowed two runs on two hits and two walks in just .2 innings of work.
- E&H took the lead in the first on a single to centerfield by junior third baseman Eli Straw (Radford, Va.).
- The Mounties answered with a run in the top of the second to tie the game at 1-1.
- A sacrifice fly in the bottom of the fourth by junior shortstop Holden Watkins (Ridgeway, Va.) made it 2-1 and four runs by the Wasps in the fifth highlighted by a two-run shot to left centerfield by senior first baseman Carson Bryant (Hickory, N.C.) pushed the margin to 7-1.
- Garlock plated a run for Mount Aloysius in the top of the seventh for the final 7-2 margin.
- Sophomore Toby Robson (Blythewood, S.C.) went 6.1 innings, allowing two runs on six hit with two strikeouts.
- MAC's Michael McCourt suffered the loss, allowing three runs on three hits with three walks in four innings pitched.
- Emory & Henry and Mount Aloysius will conclude their three-game series on Saturday at noon.