HAMDEN SYDNEY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Baseball Team (10-12, 1-3 ODAC) split its pair of Old Dominion Athletic Conference game with Hampden-Sydney College (11-7, 1-3 ODAC) Saturday afternoon on the road. The Tigers took game one by a 10-0 score while the Wasps won the nightcap, 5-4, rallying from three runs down.
GAME ONE – Hampden-Sydney 10, Emory & Henry 0
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 5, Hampden-Sydney 4
LOCATION – Hampden Sydney, Virginia – Ty Cobb Ballpark
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-12, 1-3 ODAC); Hampden-Sydney (11-7, 1-3 ODAC)
- The Tigers got thing started with a score in the second Jayson Maitland doubled to drive in a run. HSC made it 2-0 after the fourth on a successful squeeze play by Jacob Fontana.
- Three runs in the sixth by the Tigers pushed the margin to 6-0. Maitland hit a two run single to start things off while Fontana added a RBI triple to highlight the frame.
- Hampden-Sydney added a run in the seventh and capped the scoring with three in the eighth for the final 10-0 score. Mo Gothe and Devin Daugherty had run-scoring base hits in the eighth.
- Chase Mayberry picked up the complete-game shutout for the Tigers, allowing just five hits as he fanned six and walked one.
- Wasp senior Garrett Butler (Knoxville, Tenn.) suffered the loss, allowing six runs on 11 hits across six innings of work.
- Hampden-Sydney got things going in the bottom of the first with two runs. Brian Goodwyn had a RBI double to break into the scoring column.
- Emory & Henry scored its first run of the day in the third as senior second baseman Hunter Jeffries (Hickory, N.C.) drove in a run with a single.
- The Tigers made their lead 4-1 after individual runs in the fourth and fifth. Andrew Kasiski knocked a double in the fourth to highlight the stretch.
- E&H began its comeback with two runs in the sixth. Jeffries scored from third on a passed ball while sophomore right fielder Ben Sexton (Lebanon, Va.) scored from third on a first-and-third play.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Jeffries gave the Wasps the 5-4 advantage on a single which drove in a pair.
- E&H freshman Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) picked up his second win of the week in relief pitching four innings of shutout ball with just two hits.
- Zach Perkins took the loss for the Tigers, allowing five runs (four unearned) on seven hits with eight strikeouts in seven innings.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Jeffries paced the Wasps' offense with three hits and three RBI, scoring one run.
- Sexton and sophomore infielder Daulton Horne (Bristol, Va) each had two hits and a run while junior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.) added a run on a hit with two sacrifice bunts on the day.
Hampden-Sydney Individual Leaders
- Daugherty led the way with five hits, driving in two runs and scoring once.
- Tyler Blevins had four hits and scored three runs while Goodwyn tacked on three runs, three hits and two RBI.
- Emory & Henry will host Ferrum College in a non-conference game on Tuesday at 3:00 p.m.
- The Panthers defeated the Wasps by a 6-5 score in 10 innings on Wednesday, March 8.