EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Volleyball Team (7-20, 2-10 ODAC) closed out the 2018 season with a 3-0 victory over Mid-Atlantic Christian University (2-17) Friday evening. Prior to the match, Emory & Henry recognized the seven seniors in its program for all of their contributions and accomplishments.
Senior setter Sam McCauley (Glade Spring, Va.) notched the 2,500th assist of her career early in the third set, making her just the fourth player in E&H history to reach that milestone.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 3, Mid-Atlantic Christian 0 (25-7, 25-18, 25-13)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-20, 2-10 ODAC); Mid-Atlantic Christian (2-17, 0-2 EMAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry stormed out to a 5-0 lead and after two points by MACU, scored 12 in a row to go up 17-2. The Wasps served out the final six points of the set to win, 25-7.
- E&H started out with an 8-4 lead, but Mid-Atlantic Christian closed the gap to 9-7. The Wasps then scored five in a row thank to three straight kills by senior defensive specialist Amethyst Crawford (Afton, Tenn.). Emory & Henry held MACU at bay for the rest of the frame to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- In the third, the Wasps got out to a 4-1 advantage and pressed their lead to 10-5 on another ace by Crawford. Up 13-10 later in the stanza, Emory &Henry scored 10 straight for a 23-10 advantage. E&H would cruise to the 25-13 victory and the match.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Senior right-side hitter Rebecca Morehouse (Kingsport, Tenn.) posted 12 kills, four digs and two blocks while senior outside hitter Tori Holmberg (Wake Forest, N.C.) had 11 kills, 10 digs and three aces for a double-double.
- McCauley posted 29 assists and eight digs while Crawford finished the match with five aces, two assists and two digs.
- Senior middle Megan Stitzer (Chesterfield, Va.) notched two digs and three blocks while senior libero Huntre Baxter (Blountville, Tenn.) posted 10 digs and two aces.
Mid-Atlantic Christian Individual Leaders
- Mallary Brogden led the way with four kills and 12 digs while Leah Maclin notched three kills and seven digs.
- Emily Rios posted six assists and four digs.
- Emory & Henry will now await the announcement of the 2018 All-Old Dominion Athletic Conference Teams. The teams will be announced on Saturday, November 3 following the conclusion of the ODAC Tournament.