LYNCHBURG, Va. – The Lynchburg College Women's Basketball Team (14-2, 6-1 ODAC) endured a slow start and poor shooting to defeat Emory & Henry College (11-5, 4-3 ODAC) by a 53-41 score Tuesday evening in a matchup of two of the top teams in the Old Dominion Athletic Conference.
FINAL SCORE – Lynchburg 53, Emory & Henry 41
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – John M. Turner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (11-5, 4-3 ODAC); Lynchburg (14-2, 6-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The game got out to a crawl in the first period with a total of 16 points scored between the two teams. With Lynchburg up 4-0, junior guard Chloe Harris (Bristol, Va.) scored five-straight points to make it 5-4 in favor of E&H. The Wasps would hold a 9-7 lead after 10 minutes.
- The second quarter was more of the same, with the Hornets outscoring the Wasps, 11-8, to take an 18-17 lead into the half.
- Coming back from the break, LC went on a 7-2 run to start the period for a 25-19 lead. The Wasps quickly got within one and the teams traded baskets but the Hornets would take a 34-30 advantage into the final quarter.
- Lynchburg finally got its offense going in the fourth, shooting 46.2 percent (6-of-13) from the floor. After seven in a row by the Hornets to extend the margin to 41-30, the Wasps got within five (45-40) with 3:20 to go thanks to a three-pointer by freshman guard Kylea Cooper (Hickory, N.C.). Lynchburg scored eight of the final nine points of the game to come away with the 53-41 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior forward Taylor Blevins (Abingdon, Va.) led the Wasps with 12 points and added three rebounds while junior forward Laken Blackburn (Wilkesboro, N.C.) added seven points off the bench.
- Harris finished with five points and three steals while sophomore forward Peyton Williams (Saltville, Va.) had three points, five rebounds, four blocks and two steals.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Caroline Naumann led all players with 19 points and 13 rebounds as she made 7-of-13 free throws.
- Olivia DeFrancesco posted 11 points while Molly Shephard chipped in 10 points and six boards.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made just 27.5 percent (14-of-51) of its field goal attempts and one-of-six (16.7%) of its three-pointers. The Wasps were 12-of-16 (75%) at the free throw line.
- Lynchburg didn't fare much better on its shooting percentage, going 16-of-50 (32%) for the game with a pair of threes. The Hornets scored over one-third of their points at the charity stripe, going 19-of-29 (65.5%).
- LC held a 46-34 rebounding advantage and a 16-10 lead on the offensive glass. The Hornets also led, 24-20 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry scored 15 points off 25 Lynchburg turnovers, committing 23 miscues of its own.
- The Wasps' bench outscored its Hornet counterparts by an 18-5 margin.
- Emory & Henry will return home for an ODAC contest against Shenandoah University on Saturday afternoon at 4:30 p.m.
- The game will be the second in a basketball doubleheader at the John Rutledge King Center with the Wasps' men's team taking on Randolph-Macon College at 2:00 p.m.