EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Softball Team (19-3, 2-0 ODAC) picked up a shutout sweep of Shenandoah University (10-12, 1-5 ODAC) Friday afternoon in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play. The Wasps won by scores of 10-0 and 8-0 as both games were called after five innings.
It was the first time that the Wasps blanked their opponents in both games of a doubleheader since accomplishing the feat against Sweet Briar College on April 15, 2017.
GAME ONE – Emory & Henry 10, Shenandoah 0 (five innings)
GAME TWO – Emory & Henry 8, Shenandoah 0 (five innings)
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Wasps Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (19-3, 2-0 ODAC); Shenandoah (10-12, 1-5 ODAC)
Game One - Emory & Henry 10, Shenandoah 0
- The Wasps jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first highlighted by a two-run single up the middle by senior shortstop Leah Elswick (Honaker, Va.).
- Emory & Henry pushed its lead to 8-0 with five runs in the third, including back-to-back home runs by freshman designated player Kendall Varner (Bassett, Va.) and junior right fielder Madison McClanahan (Abingdon, Va.).
- A single up the middle by McClanahan in the fourth drove in a pair to cap the scoring at 10-0.
- Sophomore pitcher Tiffany Cole (Wise, Va.) earned the shutout, allowing just four hits while striking out four.
- Elizabeth Everett of Shenandoah took the loss, allowing 10 runs on 12 hits in three-plus inning of work.
Game Two – Emory & Henry 8, Shenandoah 0
- Emory & Henry got on the board in the bottom of the first on a sacrifice pop up by senior first baseman Caley Hodge (Elizabethton, Tenn.). A solo home run by sophomore catcher Alex Thomas (Orlando, Fla.) in the second made the score 2-0.
- The Wasps pushed the margin to 5-0 after three as Elswick and Varner both had RBI base hits.
- In the bottom of the fifth, E&H added the final three runs necessary to end the game early. The final play of the game saw junior centerfielder Erin Anderson (Aylett, Va.) bring home two runs after an infield single and a throwing error.
- Freshman right-hander Cameron Derr (Cornelius, N.C.) moved to 8-0 on the year as she allowed no runs on three hits with five strikeouts.
- SU's Katherine Seidl permitted six earned runs on 12 hits while striking out three.
- E&H will travel to Danville, Virginia on Tuesday, April 3 to face Averett University in its final non-conference doubleheader of the year.
- First pitch between the Wasps and Cougars is set for 1:00 p.m.