EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Soccer Team (7-2) solidified its best season since 2007 Wednesday with a 7-0 win over Johnson University (5-5) at home.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 7, Johnson 0
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia – Fred Selfe Stadium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (7-2, 0-1 ODAC); Johnson (5-5)
How It Happened
- The Wasps got on the board 5:41 into the contest as sophomore forward Tyequis Stallins (Chesapeake, Va.) dribbled through the last line of the defense and scored with a shot to the back post.
- Jordan Couch (Abingdon, Va.) scored the next three goals for Emory & Henry, netting his third hat trick of the season. The junior forward scored in the 12th, 32nd and 41st minutes with assists from freshman defender Massimo Tager (Asheville, N.C.), senior midfielder Zach Quest (Charlotte, N.C.) and Stallins to put the Wasps up 4-0 at halftime.
- E&H earned a corner kick nine minutes into the second half. Quest took his regular spot at the flag, serving the ball to a familiar target, sophomore Joel Tidman (Milford, Va.) who headed it in near post.
-With 16:53 remaining, junior forward Keith Norris (Marion, Va.) hit a turnaround shot from the right side of the 18-yard box.
- The Wasps got their final tally late in the 78th minute as sophomore midfielder Trey Tumblin (Moneta, Va.) dribbled past the last defenders and finished to the right side of the goal. It was Tumblin's first career score.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Couch's three goals marked his third hat trick-or-better this year and the fourth by an E&H player.
- Stallins had a goal and an assist in the contest while Quest netted two assists.
- Senior Didier Grillet (Matthews, N.C.) picked up his second win in as many matches, making one save on six shots faced in 90 minutes played.
Johnson Individual Leaders
- Jason Schnackenburg had three of the Royals' six shots while Will Wilson managed the only shot on goal.
- Zac Ward had nine saves on the night in goal.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry led in shots, 40-6, putting 18 strikes on frame for a second match in a row.
- The Wasps took four corner kicks in the match, three of which came in the opening 45 minutes, compared to just one by the Royals.
- E&H attackers were called offside on three different occasions while JU was called for one offside violation.
- Couch brings his season tally to 16 goals, setting a new Emory & Henry record. The previous top mark of 15 came from Danny Almond in 2001.
- Couch now has 35 points which ranks second-best behind Almond, who notched 47 points in 2001.
- Quest brings his season total to 11 assists which is third-most in program history.
- Grillet now has 12 career wins as a goalkeeper and is two away from tying the E&H record.
- It was the first meeting between Emory & Henry and Johnson since the 2001 season which also resulted in a Wasp win (11-1).
- Emory & Henry will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Saturday when it travels to face Randolph-Macon College.
- Kickoff between the Wasps and Yellow Jackets is scheduled for 1:00 p.m.
-photo courtesy of Joey Gass