HARRISONBURG, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (15-6, 8-4 ODAC) opened up a 24-point second-half lead and held on down the stretch for an 85-75 Old Dominion Athletic Conference win over Eastern Mennonite University (9-12, 4-8 ODAC) Saturday.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 85, Eastern Mennonite 75
LOCATION – Harrisonburg, Virginia
VENUE – Yoder Arena
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (15-6, 8-4 ODAC); Eastern Mennonite (9-12, 4-8 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The two squads opened the game by trading buckets to a 7-7 tie at the 16:17 mark of the first half. E&H scored the next eight to lead 15-7.
- Up 25-20 later in the half, the Wasps went on a 16-4 run on their way to a 43-26 lead at the half.
- In the second, Emory & Henry found itself up by a 53-38 score and reeled off 10 points in a row for its largest lead of the game, 63-38, with 13:47 to play.
- Eastern Mennonite made a late move to cut the margin to 10 for the 85-75 final score as it finished the game on a 22-8 run.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) surpassed the 30-point plateau for the third time this season with 33 points on 13-for-21 shooting and five three-pointers. He added five assists, three steals, two rebounds and a block.
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) notched 18 points and nine rebounds while senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) had 15 points and six boards.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) put up 10 points, five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
Eastern Mennonite Individual Leaders
- Sammy Thomas had 18 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double while Tim Jones led the Royals with 19 points off the bench.
- Travis Clower put up 13 points while D.J. Hill contributed eight points.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 36-for-68 (52.9%) for the game and hit 11 three-pointers. The Wasps only made three trips to the free throw line all night, converting for two points.
- Eastern Mennonite posted a 48.4 percent (30-for-62) performance from the field with seven triples. The Runnin' Royals hit 8-of-14 (57.1%) of their free throws.
- The two teams tied, 34-34, on rebounding, but the Royals 12 offensive boards translated to a 17-7 lead on second-chance points.
- EMU led, 44-38, on points in the paint, but E&H scored 29 fast-break points and 25 points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will return home on Wednesday for a 7:30 p.m., contest against Randolph College.
- The game will be the second in a doubleheader with the E&H women's team, who will face Roanoke College at 5:00 p.m.