LA PLUME, Pa. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (8-3, 2-2 ODAC) checked a final item off its holiday shopping list by picking up a 69-61 victory over Keystone College (0-10, 0-1 CSAC) Wednesday afternoon on the road. Four different players reached double figures in scoring in the win.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 69, Keystone 61
LOCATION – La Plume, Pennsylvania
VENUE – Ace Spalding Arena at the Gambal Athletics Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (8-3, 2-2 ODAC); Keystone (0-10, 0-1 CSAC)
How It Happened
- The two teams traded baskets early before nine straight by Keystone made the score 15-6 with 13:13 on the clock. The Wasps clawed their way back into the lead at 21-20 on a layup by senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) which capped a 12-3 run.
- E&H pushed its lead to 34-27 with 2:27 to go before the intermission but KC closed the gap to 36-35 at the break.
- The Wasps scored 10 of the first 13 points of the second half to open up a 46-38 lead by the Knights rallied to tie things at 50 with 10:08 to play. Another Emory & Henry run was answered by Keystone for a 58-all tie with less than four minutes to go.
- E&H took control over the final 3:45 with an 11-3 run to seal the victory, 69-61.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) put up 17 points, seven rebounds, four assists and three steals while sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) had 17 points, six boards and four assists.
- Wynn finished the game with a double-double, scoring 10 points and pulling down 22 rebounds to go along with three steals and two blocks.
- Senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) also had a double-double with 15 point and 10 rebounds.
Keystone Individual Leaders
- Ray Mills paced the Knights with 16 points and five assists while Tyler Sebastian had 12 points and five assists.
- Jalen Flynn notched 12 points, three rebounds and two steals while Jeremy Jordan had eight points and 12 rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot just 32.9 percent (24-of-73) for the game, but made six three-pointers. The Wasps also scored 15 points at the free throw line.
- Keystone went 24-of-62 (38.7%) from the floor with nine triples, but only went to the line four times (100%).
- E&H held a 54-39 rebounding advantage and a 24-8 margin on the offensive glass. The Wasps outscored the Knights, 19-6, on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry took advantage of 18 Keystone turnovers for 20 points while only committing 12 errors of its own.
- Emory & Henry will return to action following the Christmas holiday at the D3hoops.com Classic in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- The Wasps will open competition on Saturday, December 29 against Edgewood College at 6:00 p.m. (9:00 p.m. Eastern).
- E&H will take on perennial national power and current No. 9 Whitworth University on Sunday, December 30 at 4:00 p.m. (7:00 p.m. Eastern).