LYNCHBURG, Va. – The University of Lynchburg Men's Basketball Team (5-0, 3-0 ODAC) handed Emory & Henry College (6-1, 1-1 ODAC) its first loss of the season, 87-66, Wednesday evening in Old Dominion Athletic Conference play.
FINAL SCORE – Lynchburg 87, Emory & Henry 66
LOCATION – Lynchburg, Virginia
VENUE – Wayne Proffitt Court at John M. Turner Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-1, 1-1 ODAC); Lynchburg (5-0, 3-0 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The Hornets jumped out to a 7-2 lead at the 17:55 mark of the first half, but the Wasps responded with a 17-5 run to take a 19-12 advantage with 11:44 before the break.
- The two squads traded baskets for the remainder of the half with Lynchburg clawing its way back to lead, 33-31. The Hornets finished the half on an 8-2 run to take a 38-33 margin into the locker room.
- Returning to action, Emory & Henry closed the cap to two, 43-41, thanks to back-to-back three-pointers by senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) and junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.). The Hornets began to take control with a 15-3 run which spanned 4:28, resulting in a 58-44 Lynchburg lead.
- Back-to-back triples by E&H junior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) trimmed the deficit to eight with 12:53 remaining, but the Hornets used a 19-8 run to stretch their lead to 77-58 with less than five minutes to go.
- Lynchburg was able to work the clock for the rest of the game as it went on to earn the 87-66 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Spencer led all players with 21 points, going 7-for-16 from the field, and added four assists and three rebounds.
- Molden put up 14 points and three boards while Hendricks finished with 12 points and three rebounds.
Lynchburg Individual Leaders
- Austen Wrighten had 15 points, seven rebounds and four assists to pace the Hornets while Green hit 5-of-6 three-pointers for 15 points off the bench.
- Connor Schroeder scored 15 points while Jesse Case added 14 points, eight rebounds and seven assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry hit 41.8 percent (23-of-55) of its shots, making nine threes. The Wasps were 11-for-15 (73.3%) from the free throw line.
- Lynchburg shot 32-of-62 (51.6%) for the game with 12 triples and also scored 11 points at the stripe.
- The Hornets held a 42-29 rebounding advantage including a 12-6 margin on the offensive glass which they translated to a 13-4 lead on second-chance points.
- Lynchburg dominated the paint, 38-18, and also held a 15-3 lead on fastbreak points.
- Emory & Henry will remain on the road on Saturday when it visits No. 17 Randolph-Macon College.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Yellow Jackets is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.