EMORY, Va. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (6-0, 1-0 ODAC) opened up a 23-point halftime lead on its way to a 97-69 win over Shenandoah University (2-2, 0-1 ODAC) Sunday afternoon in an Old Dominion Athletic Conference contest.
Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) exploded for 38 points, going 14-of-19 from the field and 6-of-9 from beyond the arc. It is the most points scored by an E&H player since Justin Call went for 41 against Eastern Mennonite University on February 7, 2004 and marks the second game in a row that a Wasp has scored at least 30.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 97, Shenandoah 69
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Bob Johnson Court at the John Rutledge King Center
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (6-0, 1-0 ODAC); Shenandoah (2-2, 0-1 ODAC)
How It Happened
- The squads traced buckets early in the contest on the way to a 10-9 Emory & Henry advantage at the 14:44 mark. The Wasps then went on an 18-8 run capped by eight in a row from Spencer to lead, 28-17.
- E&H finished the half on a 13-2 run which covered 2:20 to take a 54-31 margin into the locker room.
- Coming out of the break, Emory & Henry pressed its advantage to 31 (61-32), as Spencer picked up where he left off, scoring all nine points in a 9-1 run to start the half.
- Shenandoah was able to claw its way back to within 19 (77-58) with 7:10 left to play, but the Wasps went on a run of their own and cruised to the 97-69 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Spencer got 21 of his 38 in the first half, making 7-of-8 field goals with four three-pointers. He finished the afternoon with eight rebounds, two assists and two blocks.
- Senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) posted 13 points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals while senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) notched 10 points and eight rebounds.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) went for 10 points while sophomore guard Dylan Felty (Bristol, Va.) scored nine points off the bench.
Shenandoah Individual Leaders
- Christopher Chaney led the Hornets with 11 points and five rebounds while Jason Tate scored nine points off the bench before fouling out.
- Jaylen Williams and Mark Melbourne each had eight points while Williams added six rebounds.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry made 35 of its 67 field goal attempts (52.2%) and connected on 12 three-pointers. The Wasps also went 75 percent (15-of-20) at the free throw line.
- Shenandoah hit 40 percent (24-of-60) of its shots with six triples but struggled at the charity stripe (15-of-29).
- E&H held a 44-34 rebounding advantage, but SU took advantage of 14 offensive rebounds for a 12-7 lead on second-chance points.
- The Wasps posted a 40-32 lead on points in the paint and a 12-10 margin on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will travel to face the University of Lynchburg on Wednesday at 7:00 p.m.