MARYVILLE, Tenn. – The Emory & Henry College Men's Basketball Team (4-0, 0-0 ODAC) picked up its third victory of the week, 86-74, over No. 22 Maryville (Tenn.) College (0-2, 0-0 USA South) Sunday afternoon. All five starters reached double figures in scoring with three posting double-doubles.
The Scots' national ranking comes from D3hoops.com, where the Wasps are also receiving votes.
FINAL SCORE – Emory & Henry 86, No. 22 Maryville (Tenn.) 74
LOCATION – Maryville, Tennessee
VENUE – Randy Lambert Court at Boydson Baird Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (4-0, 0-0 ODAC); Maryville (Tenn.) (0-2, 0-0 USA South)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry jumped out to a 15-5 lead through the first five minutes of the game, doubling the margin to 29-9 with 9:17 to go before the break.
- MC closed the half on a 10-4 run for a 43-32 halftime score.
- Coming out of the intermission, the Scots trimmed the deficit down to six (47-41) with 15:34 on the clock. The Wasps responded to build their lead back to 64-49 with 10:07 left on the clock.
- Maryville would get no closer than seven points the rest of the way as Emory & Henry answered each bucket with one of its own to claim the 86-74 win.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Junior guard Daniel Spencer (Concord, N.C.) led the way with 25 points, 15 rebounds, two assists and two steals while junior guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) had 17 points and five steals.
- Senior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) posted 15 points and 10 boards while senior guard Jarris Hendricks (Mechanicsville, Va.) put up 11 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks.
- Sophomore guard Tharon Suggs (Raleigh, N.C.) added 11 points.
Maryville Individual Leaders
- Calvin Songster put up 15 points with a trio of three-pointers and added three assists, two rebounds, two steals and a block.
- J.P. McGhee notched 15 points and five rebounds off the bench while Dante Hoppa had 11 points, nine rebounds and three assists.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry went 29-for-54 (53.7%) on the afternoon but made only 23.1 percent of its three-point attempts. The Wasps scored 25 points at the free throw line.
- Maryville hit 36.8 percent (25-of-68) of its shots with seven triples, adding 17 points at the stripe.
- E&H held a 43-32 rebounding advantage and outscored MC, 18-13, on second chance points.
- The Scots took advantage of 20 Wasp errors to lead 30-23 on points off turnovers.
- Both teams utilized the post game effectively, with E&H leading 38-32 on points in the paint.
- Emory & Henry returns home on Wednesday for a non-conference game against William Peace University.
- Tipoff will be at 2:00 p.m.