WOOSTER, Ohio – The College of Wooster Men's Basketball Team (9-3, 3-2 NCAC) overcame a six-point halftime deficit as it rallied for a 77-68 win over Emory & Henry College (10-1, 2-0 ODAC) in the championship game of the 55th Annual E.M. "Mose" Hole/Kiwanis Classic. The Wasps' 10-game winning streak to open the season ties the best start since 1992-93.
FINAL SCORE – Wooster 77, Emory & Henry 68
LOCATION – Wooster, Ohio
VENUE – Timken Gymnasium
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (10-1, 2-0 ODAC); Wooster (9-3, 3-2 NCAC)
How It Happened
- Emory & Henry got out to an 8-2 lead at the 17:38 mark of the first half, but Wooster went on a 14-3 run for a 16-11 advantage midway through the period.
- The Wasps responded to go up 27-20 with 6:20 to go before the break and would lead by as much as eight (33-25) before the Scots tied things up at 35-all. Emory & Henry finished the half with a pair of three-point buckets for a 41-35 halftime advantage.
- Coming out of the break, E&H extended its lead to 52-43 on an old-fashioned three-point play by sophomore guard Colin Molden (Apex, N.C.) but Wooster caught fire with a 22-4 run covering 5:46 to go up 65-56 with under eight minutes to play.
- The Wasps surged back to tie the game at 68 with 3:13 on the clock but the Scots closed the game with the final nine points for the 77-68 victory.
Emory & Henry Individual Leaders
- Molden led the Wasps with 19 points and had four assists, two rebounds and two steals while senior forward Chase Branscomb (Bristol, Tenn.) had 16 points, eight boards, three steals and two blocks.
- Senior guard John Shelor (Giles, Va.) put up 14 points and pulled down seven rebounds as junior forward Alic Wynn (Asheville, N.C.) had a team-high nine rebounds to go along with three points.
Wooster Individual Leaders
- Spencer Williams notched a game-high 25 points while Reece Dupler had 15 points and six rebounds.
- Blake Blair and Danyon Hempy had 12 and 10 points, respectively, with Hempy adding three assists, two blocks and two steals. Alex Baptiste added 20 rebounds and three blocks.
A Deeper Look
- Emory & Henry shot 34.8 percent (23-for-66) for the game, connecting on nine three-pointers. The Wasps made 13-of-20 (65%) of their free throw attempts.
- Wooster shot 25-for-61 (41%) from the field, hitting 50 percent (13-of-26) of their shots in the second half. The Scots made 10 threes and shot 81 percent (17-for-21) from the charity stripe.
- Wooster held a 45-40 rebounding advantage but E&H led 10-8 on the offensive glass, which translated to a 9-5 lead on second-chance points.
- Emory & Henry led 18-16 on points in the paint but the Scots put up an 18-10 margin on points off turnovers.
- Emory & Henry will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference play on Wednesday when it travels to Guilford College.
- Tipoff between the Wasps and Quakers is set for 5:00 p.m.