EMORY, Va. – The Bluefield College Baseball Team (20-12) held off a rally in the bottom of the ninth inning by Emory & Henry (9-14) to come away with a 4-3 win Wednesday afternoon. It was the first time since the 2014 season that the Wasps and Rams met on the baseball diamond.
FINAL SCORE – Bluefield 4, Emory & Henry 3
LOCATION – Emory, Virginia
VENUE – Porterfield/DeVault Field
RECORDS – Emory & Henry (9-14, 2-10 ODAC); Bluefield (20-12, 6-11 AAC)
How It Happened
- E&H got out to a 1-0 lead in the second on a single up the middle by senior centerfielder Josh Macek (Concord, N.C.).
- The Rams tied things up in the fourth on a solo home run to left field by Jordan Jackson. Bluefield would take a 2-1 lead after six on a single by Caleb Wood.
- Emory & Henry knotted the game at two in the bottom of the seventh on a sacrifice fly by junior designated hitter Ross French (Bridgewater, Va.).
- BC put a pair of runs on the board for a 4-2 lead midway through the eighth thanks to a single down the left field line by Wood.
- In the bottom of the frame, the Wasps closed the gap to 4-3 on a single up the middle by junior catcher Connor Stevenson (Stephens City, Va.).
- In the bottom of the ninth, the Wasps loaded the bases with two outs and Stevenson hit a liner that the shortstop was just able to reach to end the game in favor of the Rams.
- Caleb Newman picked up the win for BC, allowing just two runs on 12 hits in seven innings of work. Tyler Conklin picked up the save, pitching the final two innings.
- Wasp sophomore Alex Laws (Hudson, N.C.) suffered the loss despite scattering four runs and 11 hits across 7.1 innings of work with five strikeouts.
- Emory & Henry will step back into Old Dominion Athletic Conference action on Saturday when it hosts Bridgewater College.
- First pitch of the doubleheader is set for noon.